Dell 4600C help

Old 03-07-06, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Dell 4600C help

My Dell 4600C will not boot up - not even in safe mode. I have all the discs that came with the computer, but Dell help will not give me directions on what I need to do to save what is on my computer. They want me to pay $99/hr for that information. They will only give me instructions to reformat the entire computer, which I don't want to do. I do not have it backed up, and need what is on there. Help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-06, 07:41 PM
tae
is the hard drive working? if the system files just got messed up,you can reinstall windows, or maybe repair it. what is the operating system?
did you get an operating system disk?

Old 03-07-06, 09:24 PM
If it won't boot at all and you need the data that you did not back up, take it to a computer service location and have the hard drive backed up there. If the drive can be mounted, the salvageable files may be recovered. That way you can deal with getting the computer running again. After that, you can restore your files as needed.

Old 03-08-06, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by tae
is the hard drive working? if the system files just got messed up,you can reinstall windows, or maybe repair it. what is the operating system?
did you get an operating system disk?
When the system tried to boot up I can get to the diagnostic menu. If I just let it try to boot up I get the message to boot up in Safe Mode, etc. and I can't get past that point. I think that it is probably a Windows XP problem. I have the operating system disc, but I am unsure how to proceed.

Old 03-08-06, 11:11 AM
Have you tried booting from the Windows CD? If you can do that you can probably perform a repair install. If you can't boot from the CD you may have bigger problems than a repair install can fix.

Old 03-09-06, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Have you tried booting from the Windows CD? If you can do that you can probably perform a repair install. If you can't boot from the CD you may have bigger problems than a repair install can fix.
I can boot from the CD. I am running the diagnostics on it now. However, I don't know how to perform a repair install. After this is done, I will try to figure that out. Thanks!!!

Old 03-09-06, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by rgamble
My Dell 4600C will not boot up - not even in safe mode. I have all the discs that came with the computer, but Dell help will not give me directions on what I need to do to save what is on my computer. They want me to pay $99/hr for that information. They will only give me instructions to reformat the entire computer, which I don't want to do. I do not have it backed up, and need what is on there. Help!!!
I have run a diagnostics test. "Read Test" failed. I have received a number of error messages, all of which are 0F00-1344, and the Msg. Blocks are numerous. Is this an indication of a bad hard drive, or should I try to repair XP?

Old 03-10-06, 05:34 AM
Sounds like hard drive.

Its POSSIBLE you could try a reinstall without format and XP MIGHT install itself on good blocks and you MIGHT be able to get some of your data. You would then want to replace the drive.

I'm not at all certain this would work.