computer lords: what's your favorite "free" o/s?

Old 03-14-06, 09:06 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question computer lords: what's your favorite "free" o/s?

I currently have an old box with WinNT on it, but I think it's time to finally rebuild it with a different o/s. I've heard that White Box Linux and CentOS are good, but I'd like to get your thoughts, too. I'm not looking specifically for a UNIX flavor--I'm open-minded to anything free, stable, and user-friendly with lots of free software available for it.

Since this is just a spare box, I don't think I'll use it for much more than surfing the internet. But who knows, maybe I'll beef it up and eventually use it for something more exciting.

Anyway, in case this matters:
If I had to rank my "UNIX competence" on a scale from 1 to 10 (with 10 being best), I'd give myself a 6 as far as system administration goes. Fortunately, I have O'Reilly's "Essential System Administration" reference book to [hopefully] bail me out when necessary. On the other hand, I'm somewhat advanced with vi and korn shell scripting since I administer enterprise applications for my day job.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 03-14-06, 11:45 AM
tae
BeOS or one of it's varients, like haiku.

Old 03-14-06, 04:07 PM
M
Free OS

I am using Novell SUSE Linux 10.0 on this machine. Installation was a no brainer and everything worked the first time just like windows OS. Best, no spyware or virus problems to worry about with Linux.

However Linux is getting better, in some ways its not as automatic as windows as far as installing programs and hardware issues. I love it though and will never go back. I downloaded and burned all 5 CD images in about two hours with my Comcast 7MB cable.

Old 03-14-06, 05:42 PM
M
Originally Posted by mowfixer
I am using Novell SUSE Linux 10.0 on this machine. Installation was a no brainer and everything worked the first time just like windows OS. Best, no spyware or virus problems to worry about with Linux.

However Linux is getting better, in some ways its not as automatic as windows as far as installing programs and hardware issues. I love it though and will never go back. I downloaded and burned all 5 CD images in about two hours with my Comcast 7MB cable.
How did you burn your CD images? I'm under the impression that I have to use some sort of shareware like Nero, but was wondering if there's any freeware version available for burning images?

Old 03-15-06, 02:39 AM
M
Os

I had Linux installed and used the Linux CD burning siftware. But you have some choices.

On Ebay you can get Linux CD sets very cheap and you dont have to worry about long downloads or burning them yourself. Make sure you get the latest distrobution if you go the Ebay route. You can find that out from the web page for the distro you want.

If you want to download yourself here are some freeware programs. I have not tested these but you could give them a try. I know Nero and other major CD burning software will do ISO burns as well.

http://www.webattack.com/freeware/gmm/fwcdburn.html

Also most Linuux distros have a list of compatible hardware. You might want to do a check there before trying Linux. Linux can also be troublesome on some hardware (ie sound cards, video cards, scanners, and even some printers) and to get this type of hardware working after the fact can be difficult. Many hardware manufacturers simply dont provide Linux drivers and for some reason printers seem to be a particular problem. Thats why you need to check your hardware and Linux support.

Although Linux is trying to become mainstream it is still a work in progress and can be frustrating. Windows is still hard to beat for general operational compatibility for some hardware/software systems.

Old 03-15-06, 09:34 AM
C
Mandriva Linux.

Old 03-15-06, 12:49 PM
C
The past few months, people have been talking about Ubuntu Linux.
I have Fedora Core 3 though.

Before I got Nero (with my DVD burner), I used a program called BurnAtOnce to burn ISOs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: