Rights Have Been Stripped Somehow


  #1  
Old 03-15-06, 12:38 PM
A
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 26
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rights Have Been Stripped Somehow

Last week one workstation started giving me the message "You do not have
sufficient privileges to uninstall devices...........blah blah blah" when I
open the device manager. This computer is XP Pro on a corp network. I am a
workstation admin with domain, workstation, admin, etc rights. Nothing has
changed on the local pc according to my knowledge. It does not happen on
other computers so it has to be on this one. If I logon with the
administrator account of the local computer it also occurs. I had one of our
company's domain admin's login and it does it to him. I would appreciate any
info I can get.

I tried to check the Local Security Policy but everytime I click on the User Rights Assignments it freezes the computer. I can click on anything else and it
will open, but if I try to view the URA if freezes and I have to reboot. I
checked it on another computer and there is nothing in the URA about device
drivers and such anyway. I have scanned the computerfor malware and found nothing. Is
it possible that the problem lies on the network settings and not the
computer because I have compared this computer to another and found no
differences.
 
  #2  
Old 03-15-06, 05:39 PM
tae's Avatar
tae
tae is offline
Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,467
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
  #3  
Old 03-16-06, 12:44 PM
A
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 26
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, but already tried that. It just hangs and will not complete the process. Any other suggestions?
 
  #4  
Old 03-16-06, 02:19 PM
tae's Avatar
tae
tae is offline
Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,467
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I take it you have done a disk check, have you done a restore to before it had trouble? You have backups like a good admin,right? it obviously has some difference between the two. The hanging and freezing are what bug me.
 
  #5  
Old 03-16-06, 06:13 PM
C
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would first force an update of the machine policy on the computer... use secedit.exe if the server is NT4 or Windows 2000 Server, or use gpupdate.exe if the server is Windows 2003 Server. What this is going to do is rebuild the local security policy on the workstation.

Failing that, you may have an issue where the kerberos key is out of sync with the server, to solve this go into AD Users and Computers on the server and right click the machine account and reset it.

Beyond that I would end up booting the machine into safe mode with networking to see if that does the trick. If you can connect to the server and do various things, I would run HijackThis and clean out whatever may be causing the issue.

Second last, I would boot the machine into safe mode, remove it from the domain, remove the computer account from AD Users and Computers on the server and then rejoin the machine to the domain.

And then if all else fails, format and reinstall.

Corey
 
  #6  
Old 03-17-06, 10:44 AM
A
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 26
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, I already tried everything all of yall suggested and not of it worked. The computer would hang and I would have to reboot. I did not find any malware or anything like that on the computer and it has just been driving me nuts. I was hoping someone would have an idea that I didn't think of. But oh well...........I went ahead and reformatted today and now it works great.

Thanks for yall's help.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: