WinXP file sharing question.

Old 03-15-06, 02:27 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
WinXP file sharing question.

I am trying to share files between two computers both using WinXP. I have tried everything but still couldn't get it to work. None of them have firewall (neitehr windows or 3rd party) and guest account is enabled and permission for guest is given to the folder being shared. Both computers are in the same workgroup and file sharing protocol is installed.

When I browse from my computer to the shared folder's computer icon (in network neighbourhood). I get the message:

"\\computer_name is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this netowrk resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

Old 03-15-06, 04:32 PM
W
Do you have an account under same login name on both PCs? If so, try it that way instead of the terrible way you're trying now.

Seriously, I hope neither PC is connected to the Internet because you are an open book to anyone that wants in. Guest account should be disabled, firewalls should be installed on both PCs. Unless you want some script kiddie using your PC to spam the world you should rethink this.

Try this for some specific info on networking: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...d/default.mspx

Old 03-15-06, 06:27 PM
D
I dont think the guest account will gain you access over the network, will it?
I guess they are both on a network together? Do they each have an IP?
Find the IP of the workstation that has the share by doing this on that workstation:
START \ RUN then type CMD and hit ENTER
A DOS window will pop up. Type IPCONFIG and hit ENTER
You should see a few lines of info and one that says IP ADDRESS
Write down the number displayed beside IP ADDRESS
Make sure FILE and PRINTER SHARING is enabled in the local network properties (recommend turning this off when you are done if you are connected to the internet without a firewall).
Right click on the folder or drive to share and select SHARING and SECURITY
Under NETWORK SHARING and SECURITY check the box for SHARE THIS FOLDER on the NETWORK
If you will be moving files to and from this folder you will also have to check the box for ALLOW NETWORK USERS to CHANGE my FILES then click OK. (you now run the risk of being hacked if you are connected to the internet without firewall protection)

Go to the other computer that is trying to access the share and:
START \ RUN then type CMD and hit ENTER
Type PING then hit the space bar once and enter the number you wrote down exactly as it was
It should look something like PING 192.168.0.10 but using the IP you wrote down.
You should get 4 replies, if you get REQUEST TIMED OUT, the two systems cant see each other.
If you got the 4 replies that is good, try START \ RUN then type \\IP ADDRESS but it should look
like \\192.168.0.10 only use the IP you wrote down.
You might be prompted for a logon and password, if so enter a valid logon and password for the
workstation with the share. You should see the shared folder.

Old 03-16-06, 11:56 AM
Z
I found the problem.

Both computers have to have at least one account with exact same names AND it must also contain a password. Is that really the proper way to setup sharing in windows? It doesn't sound right because it requires duplicate accounts when there are multiple systems on the network.

I tried to put the windows firewall back on for the computer being shared but it denied my access to it right after. It doesn't allow me to enter any exception rules based on IP. Anyone know how to make it work?

Maybe I shouldn't bother with the windows firewall because I am sure it's doesn't offer any real protection being it's microsoft. I should just get a 3rd party one. What's worth trying besides zone alarm?

Old 03-16-06, 01:38 PM
D
I have multiple systems on my home network (all running XP Pro) but do not have the same accounts (logon and password) on each system and can access all of the shares on each system using the admin account for each system.

Do you have an administrator account and password setup on any of your systems? It sounds like you dont when you say you get "DENIED" wheh trying to perform certain functions.

Old 03-16-06, 02:11 PM
P
File Sharing

XP file sharing is not secure like using actual Server Software. As Long as the IP addresses are set up correctly and you set up local admin account access on all your computers you should not have a problem sharing. If you are fed up with everything you been trying you can make it easier on yourself and Just install the IPX Protocol or the Netbios protocol on your internal network. Not recommended for large networks but as a home user. It solves the problem. This will bypass your firewall because you will not be using the IP protocol internally. When using the Microsoft firewall it is an Internet Connection Firewall option . You only want to block external Computers outside your control from accessing your network. You using the correct IP subnetting?

Last edited by PCSupportTech; 03-16-06 at 02:25 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: