Clean install of 98SE on Toshiba laptop...

Old 03-16-06, 08:51 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clean install of 98SE on Toshiba laptop...

Hello,
A friend has an old Toshiba laptop, Model #PAS254U-A, that is so full of malware, old programs, etc., that it barely runs...Before he trashes it, I'd like to try to wipe the hard drive clean and install a purchased copy of Win98SE onto it...

Can anyone point me in the right direction to do this??

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Old 03-16-06, 09:19 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
first you need a startup dsisc
and see here
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221829

Old 03-16-06, 09:38 AM
S
First, how do I wipe the HD clean?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 03-16-06, 11:24 AM
Z
First of all, you need to make sure to have a bootable win98se (second edition) cd. If you have that, then make sure you have a bootable cdrom.

If you have both, then the rest is easy. Find out if you have access to both first then report back.

Old 03-16-06, 11:41 AM
S
Sorry it took so long to reply...doing yardwork before it rains ...got both the floppy and the disc, ready to roll...

Old 03-16-06, 05:21 PM
S
Boot from your newly created 98SE Boot disk (OEM is fine)

1. Take note of the drive letter the MSCDEX driver assigns to the CD-ROM drive (one of the last things you'll see before you see the A:\> prompt)

2. At the A: prompt, type "format c: /u /s" (u = Unconditional format, s = copy system files)

Enjoy a Coke...this'll take a while (You can add a /q at the end of the format line to do a quick format, but since you've had problems, I'd recommend doing the full format)

It'll ask you for a label when its done. Put in anything or nothing, it doesn't matter.

3. When the format completes, type the following commands hitting enter after each:

c:

md windows

cd windows

md options

cd options

md cabs

cd cabs

4. Put your Win98SE disk in the CD ROM drive and type:

copy d:\win98 (***If your CD ROM is NOT D:, change the letter to the letter you noted in step 1)

Watch for error messages. See note below if you have any errors.

5. Remove the boot floppy, the 98SE CD, and reboot

6. At the C:\> prompt, type c:\windows\options\cabs\setup

7. Follow the prompts. At some point, you will be asked where you want to put the windows files, and it will *probably* default to c:\windows.000 Change it to c:\windows, and say OK to the warning that the folder exists.

By doing what I prescribed, you will eliminate the need to do the install directly from the CD. If the CD has problems, they will be found in step 3, not during the actual install process. If you get error messages in step 4, you have either a bad 98SE disk, or a bad CD-ROM, and you will need to get a replacement/loaner.

The other advantage of this is that whenever your computer needs something off the 98SE CD, it shouldn't have to prompt you for the disk since everything it needs will be in the C:\windows\options\cabs CD.

I've done this proceedure dozens of times (perhaps closer to hundreds). Works like a charm...

This was help I got from an old DIY post long ago...and it worked perfectly....

FYI,
Matt

Old 03-17-06, 08:27 AM
P
Originally Posted by Slaphppy7
The other advantage of this is that whenever your computer needs something off the 98SE CD, it shouldn't have to prompt you for the disk since everything it needs will be in the C:\windows\options\cabs CD.

I've done this proceedure dozens of times (perhaps closer to hundreds). Works like a charm...

This was help I got from an old DIY post long ago...and it worked perfectly....

FYI,
Matt
Matt,
Can this be done with other versions of windows like Win2000-Pro or XP?

Thanks,
Phil

Old 03-17-06, 09:24 AM
Z
Or you can just do this to copy all the files from cd to harddrive for the install

>c:
>cd \
>md win98
>d:
>copy win98 c:win98

Old 03-17-06, 09:25 AM
S
Not exactly sure....sounds like a question for racraft or tae....

Matt

Old 03-18-06, 06:16 AM
S
Now, another issue...

Got Windows 98SE set up on the laptop, but now I'm having problems loading the driver for the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 Integrated Cardbus PC Card, Model # PCM 200....

When I start Windows, it recognizes the card, and wants to load drivers for it...I have the floppy for the card, I point Windows to it, but it is unable to load drivers..Even unchecked the floppy destination to try to let Windows find the drivers on it's own, but no luck...

The floppy drive on this laptop may have issues...You have to force the card in, then pull it out with pliers (!)...Saw the guy who owns the laptop do this before, with some other floppy...

This card has worked with this laptop before...Even tried to use Nero to burn a copy of the floppy onto a disk, using my computer, but it failed...

I'm at a loss, please anyone with any suggestions, let me know...I'll try anything...

Thank you,
Matt

Old 03-18-06, 07:10 AM
S
Downloaded the driver from Linksys' website and copied it to disc...Tried it that way, but no luck...One thing, now the laptop is prompting to load the driver for the card at bootup whether the card is in there or not...Went to device manager, don't see it listed anywhere...

I know this is probably causing an error somewhere...just don't know how to proceed from here...

Any help greatly appreciated,
Matt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: