Can I connect Coaxial cable direct to LP120 projector?

Old 03-24-06, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I connect Coaxial cable direct to LP120 projector?

I have a satelitte broadcast to show and our tv crashed. Is there a cable that I can use to connect the cable wall outlet directly to a Infocus LP120 projector. The projector has a S-video input, I was thinking that there might be an adapter to convert the coaxial cable connection to s video.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-06, 11:52 AM
You cannot connect the cable directly from the wall to the projector. The coax cable needs to be connected to a cable tuner first before connecting to the projector. To use the projector you would need to have an external cable box / tuner.

-Mike
"I wanted to destroy something beautiful."

Old 03-24-06, 11:58 AM
I have a spare digital cable box, can I use this? Connect the wall coax to the cable box and then to the projector?

Old 03-24-06, 01:55 PM
I'm sorry I didn't read your first post carefully enough. When you say you have a satellite broadcast to show, does that mean you have digital satellite? (ie directv) If you are trying to display a satellite signal you will need the satellite tuner, not the cable tuner / box. In other words, if you have digital satellite, connect the satellite tuner to the projectore. If you are subscribed to cable, use the cable box. Either way you need to connect the coax to some type of tuner (satellite or cable) first. Then connect the projector to the tuner.

Does the cable box have an S-Video output? If it doesn't, does it have RCA / composite video and audio output? Does the projector have a built in speaker? If the cable box has an s-video output, just use an s-video cable to connect it to the projector. If not, get an RCA to S-video cable to use. If it does have a speaker, connect the audio out on the cable box to the audio in on the projector.

-Mike
"Its not until you lose everything that you are free to do anything."

Old 03-24-06, 02:42 PM
It is in an office environment so I don't know if it's digital (the signal comes from somwhere else in the building to the outlet on our floor). What is usually done is the coax is connected directly to a television to be viewed. Since the tv died I was hoping we could go direct to the projector.

We'll just have to borrow a tv from another department.

Thanks for the information.

Old 03-24-06, 02:55 PM
You'll need a tuner of some sort. I don't know if a cable box will work, unless the signal is the actual cable TV the box is for. A VCR will be more likely to work.

Old 03-24-06, 09:12 PM
There's no RCA video input on an Infocus LP120, so unless he has access to a VCR with S-Video output (rare, except for SVHS VCRs), that won't work.

You can convert a signal from coax to S-Video using an adaptor, but it may be difficult to find one locally to you. Try Radio Shack. Here's one from an online shop:

http://www.svideo.com/rcatosvideo.html

At any rate, you will need the VCR for the tuner, then run the yellow RCA OUT to the adapter (RCA-->SVIDEO), to the projector's SVIDEO IN.

Old 03-27-06, 04:14 PM
The LP120 came with a RCA -> S-video adapter, the TV is a TV/VCR combination model. Does this type of VCR operate as a tuner? I have a RCA video connector to use if this will work.

Old 03-28-06, 07:31 PM
Generallt TV/VCR combos would be unuseable. You would need a standalone VCR.

Old 04-04-06, 08:31 PM
If the coax is usually connected to a TV for viewing, then it is most likely an analog video signal. This means that any inexpensive VCR will accept the RF/coax input and the composite video output (RCA plugs) from the VCR will connect to the projector.

The reason that the combo unit won't work is that they don't usually have output connectors, only input.

You won't need S-video (although you can use it if supported by the VCR). For an office/projector connection the resolution you will get from composite video should be fine.