Share internet access

Old 04-06-06, 07:59 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Share internet access

I have a desktop and a laptop computer. I have cable internet service.

With the use of a wireless router, can I simply put the cable modem and wireless router in the basement where the cable wire comes in and access the internet wirelessly from both the desktop and laptop? (Both have wireless cards installed) or does one of them need to be hardwired to the modem or router.

I really don't want to have to run wires to the second floor to tie in the desktop if I can avoid it and there is no need for the computers to be networked together aside from sharing internet access.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-06, 08:42 AM
R
Yes, you can do this. You will need to temporarily use one of the computers (easiest with the laptop) in the basement wired to the router to configure it.

Depending upon your house construction you may have to experiment with a location for the router and the antenna positioning to get decent reception.

Make sure that you turn on and enable every bit of security so that your wireless network is not wide open to anyone nearby.

Keep in mind that a better setup is one in which you always have one computer hardwired to the router.

Old 04-06-06, 08:42 AM
A
Yes, you can surely do that, however, you need to make sure that the wireless router will provide adequate signal from down in the basement.

Old 04-06-06, 10:32 AM
H
Thanks for the input guys.

The kid at Best Buy that knows way more about this stuff than I do (I hope) set me up with a linksys srs mimo wireless router which should have enough power to transmit throughout the house.

I do plan to protect the signal though since I really don't want the neighborhood to use my access point.

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it.

HB

Old 04-06-06, 11:09 AM
R
Originally Posted by hb2u
The kid at Best Buy that knows way more about this stuff than I do...
He may know more than you do, but I can guarantee he doesn't know much.

Old 04-06-06, 03:22 PM
T
tux
He just sold you on a much more expensive product then you needed. I assume it's something in the range of a WRT54GX4. 1st of all let me say, I hate MIMO, stick to standards that is what they are there for, if your router is powerful enough to reach where other access points are it may cause an issue for those access points as it will be using more of the band then a normal AP. I recommend the WRT54G with sveasoft firmware (much cheaper and more powerful then many commercial AP's when the custom firmware is used.) Not to mention it follows standards.

Old 04-07-06, 06:42 AM
H
I went with his recommendation because the house is constructed of stone and there's actually a 2 foot thick stone wall between where the router will be located and the usage point for the laptop. hat seemed to be enough to justify the need for something above the ordinary.

As for non standard technologies, I guess I'll see what happens.

The next trick from me to tackle is to figure out why the modem won't connect to the pc through the network cable. It only seems to want to work with a USB Cable. I enables the network connection and as far as I can tell there's a card installed on the computer..... I guess I'll have to play a bit more.

Thanks again for the info.

HB

Old 04-07-06, 09:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Open IE and goto Tools/Internet options/Connections/Lan settings
Make sure "Automatically detect settings is checked..

Now, goto Start/Network Connections
Make sure your LAN Connection is enabled..