Establishing a wireless network for notebook

Old 04-23-06, 03:31 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Establishing a wireless network for notebook

Hello,
Can anyone recommend a wireless router for establishing a wireless network? I just purchased a D130 Dell notebook and have a Dell desktop. I only want to be able to use the notebook with the wireless capablity. It come with a wireless card. Also, if I do not intend on sharing files, photos, etc. between computers in my home do I need a wireless card for the desktop?

Thanks

Old 04-23-06, 03:42 AM
S
I have a LinkSys WRT54G. Although some don't link it I enjoy it alot. All the security and range of use I need. Just installed it recently so the set up is fresh in my mind too.

Old 04-23-06, 06:32 AM
R
Any reputable brand wireless router will work for you. A wireless router will have at least one Ethernet port, vut usually more. The Ethernet port is for connecting one or more computers directly to the router. You need to do this initially to setup and configure the router.

When you get the router, make sure that you enable every bit of security available on the router. If you simply plug it in and use it, your Dell and any other home computers you have will be wide open to the public, as will your Internet connection.

You do not need a wireless card for your desktop. You should simply connect your desktop computer directly to the router using it's Ethernet port.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: