pc wont shut down

Old 04-27-06, 12:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pc wont shut down

How can I get my pc to shut down like it is suppose to? I have to shut it off from the modem eight out of ten times, I've down loaded all the updates, so what can I do to fix this before I mess up my pc?:madhell:

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-06, 12:36 PM
W
Shut it off from the modem???

Old 04-27-06, 06:11 PM
S
Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Shut it off from the modem???
Yes I have to shut it down eight out of ten times at the modembecause it starts to shut down but will freeze at the just before shutting down . can ya help?

Old 04-28-06, 02:44 AM
T
You mostly likely mean the Tower, The switch in the back possibly or the button in front?

Which windows version do you have?

Also Which anti-virus, security, anti-spam programs do you currently have? If any.

EDIT: Go here and perform a spyware scan (FREE)

Then here to perform a Virus scan (ALSO FREE)

Old 04-28-06, 05:15 AM
W
First of all, be sure you're giving it plenty of time to shut down. Mine takes about 5 minutes.

Assuming you have XP, check this page for some tips:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Old 04-28-06, 05:40 AM
D
How old is the machine?

Just a thought, if you are running an older machine (say P-II or before), the motherboard may be an AT vice an ATX motherboard, which is not designed to shut off automatically. Has this problem just started on this machine or has it been there all along?

Old 04-28-06, 06:00 AM
T
Need more info

What kind of PC is it. How old is it, what OS are you running? What does it do when you try to shut down the way it is supposed to? Any error messages? Have you checked the event viewer? Give us some background so we know more of what we're trying to help you with.

Old 04-28-06, 11:44 AM
S
pc wont shut down

Its a windows 98 2nd ed. just had it checked out and up graded ,checked for viruses, installed more protection, the guy supposed to have fixed every thing but when I got it back started having trouble with shutting down.some times it will do ok for a day or so then back to not shutting down. thanks for ya help

Old 04-28-06, 01:56 PM
B
I remember there being a very common problem with W98 systems not shutting down properly. Microsoft eventually offered at least one patch, but if memory serves nothing really helped most of the client systems I worked on. Only upgrading to W2K :[

What did you mean by Modem?? Did you mean the power switch or button?

Another piece of info which might help diagnose it: does it try to shut down? Do the icons disapear and the hourglass start going, or does it just go back to the normal desktop when you click 'Shut Down'? How about when you say 'Restart' instead?

Old 04-28-06, 03:44 PM
R
Unfortunately Windows 98 had many problems. Shutting down was one of them.

Whenever my Windows 98 machine started having trouble shutting down I took that as a sign that it was time to re-install Windows. That cured it 100 percent of the time.

What is happening is that one of your programs is not shutting down. The operating system tells it to shut down, but it either ignored the request or is hung somewhere. Rather than shutting down anyway. the OS waits patiently.

If you go into the task manager and start terminating programs one at a time, you will eventually discover which program it is that is causing the problem (because Windows will shut down after you manually terminate the offending program).

You could then try re-installing that program, or simply not run it. But it';s probably something you want (or need) to run.

Old 04-28-06, 05:59 PM
J
I think I know the problem you're having. My Win98SE computer does that most of the time, too. It goes through the whole shut down process and hangs on the the Windows is Shutting Down screen.

I usually just leave my that computer in stand by mode when I'm not using it and restart when I need to. Problem solved. Defragging frequently also helps.