Chex mail get tossed off line

Old 04-30-06, 03:46 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chex mail get tossed off line

My problem is, when I go on line to check mail after checking mail I am automatically kicked off line. This makes it impossible for me to click on links sent to me because when I click on link it will not open because I have been mysteriously been kicked off line.

I do not know what infor. is needed to help me. I have outlook express as a carrier. I am signed on with verizon DSL I have a dell computer.

I believe that I went into something and clicked where I should not have clicked my wife uses the computer too and on her side of the computer she checks her mail and is not kicked off line just me.

It was suggested that verizon or outlook express or Dell computer could help I am not sure which but in any case I do not know how to get hold of them, or where to go in cyber space to ask them a question.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-06, 04:20 PM
R
Outlook Express is a free Microsoft program. It's not even worth that much. You will get no help from Microsoft. I suggest that you use some other email program, any other program.

Now to your problem.

Run your virus software. Then run one or more good spy ware programs. Spy-Bot is goos, as is ad-aware. There are others.

Dell will want to charge you for help. If you want to pay them, that's fine.

Verizon may or may not be a source to approach for help. I have found them helpful when the problem is on their end. I have not tried to use them when I have been responsible for the problem.

Old 04-30-06, 04:46 PM
M
kicked off

I have Norton internet security, Spybot, Microsoft antispyware, and webroot spysweeper and have run them all to no avail. I believe this was done by me. A stupid flick of the key, in a place I should not have been but I do not know just think it was somethiong I did, and that is why security or spy ware fixes would not help. As far as Outlook Express goes I do not know anything about computers or various mail carriers, my wife teaches computer application in High school so she does the setting up of things like this, but you know the old saying I have found to be true, those who can do, those who can't teach.

In any case thanks for your help.

Old 04-30-06, 07:26 PM
B
I have used Outlook Express for about six years and have never had any problem(s) with it. It works fine. When I changed from dial-up to cable internet(npg), I had to change one setting on the NPG cable side. I never had to change any O.E. settings. I have a few other mail clients on my computer and used them a few times, don't care for them.

Old 05-01-06, 01:17 PM
R
Originally Posted by bink
I have used Outlook Express for about six years and have never had any problem(s) with it. It works fine.
You missed my point. Outlook Express may work fine as far as you can tell. But it is free. Microsoft won't provide support for it.

And it doesn't work fine. It's a piece of junk. It is poorly written and unsafe. It will eventually bite you in the proverbial rear.

For you and anyone else using it, you are pressing your luck. You would be wise to stop using it. Especially if you aren't using a firewall and/or don't have up to date anti-virus software and spy ware software.

Caveat emptor. But since you didn't buy it, more appropriately, user beware.

Old 05-01-06, 05:12 PM
T
All opinions aside. I have used Outlook Express for a while and haven't had any problems except for the last security update Microsoft issued.
One thing that I would check is when you click the send/receive button along the top make sure the "hang up when finished" box is cleared. That will disconnect you right after your messages download.

Old 05-01-06, 05:30 PM
S
When in Outlook Express, you can do this offline after you get kicked off again, go to:
>Tools in the top menu
>Options
>Connection
>Uncheck the box, "Hang up after sending and receiving"

Sometimes its best to help someone instead of giving your personal opinion on a product, it doesn't look professional at all.

This is what Microsoft says:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176658/en-us

Last edited by Skipslot; 05-01-06 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-02-06, 04:27 PM
M
mail call

Thanks Skip, your advice took care of the problem I had been having, its nice to have people like you to help those of us that are not Computer savvy.