cleaning pc

Old 05-10-06, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
cleaning pc

I turned off the power at the surge supressor then gounded the pc to clean dust out. Nothing was disconnected. I turned on the surge suppressor and booted up.
All seems ok but I wanted to make sure this was a safe way to clean the machine periodically. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-06, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peterr
I turned off the power at the surge supressor then gounded the pc to clean dust out. Nothing was disconnected. I turned on the surge suppressor and booted up.
All seems ok but I wanted to make sure this was a safe way to clean the machine periodically. Thank you.
Yep. I use a vacuum with the brush attachment. Just be sure you don't knock anything loose. I would unplug rather than turning off surge suppressor though.

Old 05-10-06, 11:42 AM
Static Mat

If you unplug the case make sure you're cleaning it either on an anti-static mat or that you ground the case.

Old 05-10-06, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't recommend using a vacuum brush to clean a PC board. Unless it's an anti-static attachment, static electricity could theoretically be generated, possibly causing damage.

I've never had any problem using a can of compressed air to blast out the dust from my case. Just use the vacuum nozzle and put it near the area that you're going to blast with the can of air. The vacuum will suck the dislodged dust up right away.

If a board is particularly bad, it can be cleaned with pure (or even 90%) rubbing alcohol and some Q-Tips. Don't use the 70%ish stuff that you sometimes find at drug stores.

Old 05-10-06, 12:56 PM
cleaning pc

Thanx for the tips-I think I'll unplug, ground, and use compressed air.

Old 05-10-06, 01:05 PM
<shrug> I've been doing it this way for over 10 years without a problem.

Old 05-10-06, 06:37 PM
By theory you should leave the power cables intact, then ground yourself with a wrist strap to the chassis of the PC, then do your work.

In 16 years of building, repairing and massaging PC's I have never encountered even the slightest hint of a problem caused by static electricity when cleaning a system.

If you stop moving your feet and touch the PC chassis then you will be grounded with respect to it. That's what's important. After touching the chassis don't move your feet again until you are done installing or removing parts.. but even if you do, the chances of causing damage are IMSHO far less than that of winning the Lottery.

I always take special steps like those above when handling CPU's or Memory, but beyond that it's a theoretical point for electrical engineers to debate, not one you will likely see in your lifetime.

BTW one place people often do not clean out is the area between the chassis and the front panel of the system. IF your system has a removable front panel and you have pets, you might pull this panel off to ensure you get all of the blockage out.

Old 05-11-06, 07:38 AM
pc cleaning

I appreciate your information-thank you.

Old 05-11-06, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by wreckwriter
<shrug> I've been doing it this way for over 10 years without a problem.
15+ years for me

Of course, everyone has their opinion on how it should be done...

Old 05-12-06, 09:14 AM
> Of course, everyone has their opinion on how it should be done...

Too true. I would say I've been lucky save that whatever luck I have seems to work the other way