Windows XP PRO Upgrade

Old 05-18-06, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows XP PRO Upgrade

I need to upgrade 2 systems to xp pro, but can not pay fora new full OEM with SP2, can anyone help with a copy, or used one, or no longer needed one.:mask:

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-06, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You're asking for someone to give you a $115 program for free?

Old 05-18-06, 05:39 PM
want somebocy to drive the car for you when you hold up the mini mart next week ?

Old 05-18-06, 06:20 PM
If you cannot afford it, then you do not need to do it.

Old 05-18-06, 09:19 PM
I suppose the next thing you'll want is for someone to pay the fine for you when you get nailed for pirating..?.. ha,,, absurd idea...

Old 05-19-06, 02:44 PM
OEM upgrades w/SP2 on nextag.com from $80-$180.
Much cheaper than OEM full version (and prison).

Old 05-19-06, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Death Touch
OEM upgrades w/SP2 on nextag.com from $80-$180.
Much cheaper than OEM full version (and prison).

There is NO such thing as an OEM upgrade. What you just quoted him IS a full version OEM. Whether it is legit or not, I dont know. There are a LOT of places on the internet that sell pirated software as OEM. So be careful. Buy from a reputable vendor, such as www.newegg.com

An OEM XP Home w/SP2 should cost no more than about $85. An OEM XP Pro w/SP2 should cost no more than about $135.

OEM licenses are NON-transferrable also. I would suggest you not post things like this on ANY forum again, as it could get you banned rather quickly, especially on a computer forum like www.HotHardware.com

Old 05-19-06, 03:52 PM
Silly to upgrade to xp anyway now that Vista is out in a few months. Course a lot of people arn't going to have the hardware for it.

Old 05-19-06, 08:04 PM
Vista was Pushed Back

I'm pretty sure they have pushed back the full Vista release until the new year. Hardware manufacturers were not impressed. I think they were banking on a big holiday seasons with Vista spurring purchases

Old 05-20-06, 10:20 AM
> OEM licenses are NON-transferrable also.

Actually that's not true. The fact that Microsoft ( or any other company ) says it's illegal does not make it so. Only lawmakers can make laws ( tho they do seem to be pretty well bought ), and only the courts can rule on the legality of such a clause.

This topic used to send shock waves through the community 10 years ago. No attorney with half a brain would have thought of trying to enforce such a thing then. Now, I'm not so sure, but am fairly certain no appellate level court has allowed such a clause to be enforced. Part of it goes back about 100 years ago when book binders would put the words 'not for resale' or some such on the first page of each book. The courts said that was illegal: you bought the book thus you are entitled to sell it again.

The other legal point regarding OEM Windows is that, per Microsoft, you have to install a hard drive or motherboard to 'legally' use the OEM copy. How many of us have not upgraded our hard drives in the past few years?

Old 05-20-06, 06:33 PM
It depends what the OEM licensee states. Some believe that the HDD is the "system", others believe the motherbard is.

Old 05-20-06, 07:36 PM
There is one thing that MS doesn't tell you, but if you prod them enough through tech support, they will admit that they allow the same OS CD to be installed on up to 5 machines in a home situation..

Old 05-21-06, 04:56 AM
Although its not free. I would go with a knocked down version of XP such as Home. I got an OEM version from Tiger Direct for $49 when they were having a special when I built one system. Just have to keep your eye's open. Depends on what you want from your operating system too. Linux has free versions of their software (Unbuntu), all you have to do is send for the Cd's and they will send many of them, dozens if you want them. But you may have a learning curve to overcome.

Old 05-21-06, 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by BuiLDPro68
Silly to upgrade to xp anyway now that Vista is out in a few months. Course a lot of people arn't going to have the hardware for it.
Very little about Vista that appeals to me, besides the new media experience. Everything will be hard to get to for any power user, the casual user will benefit from Vista though.

Old 05-23-06, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by AxlMyk
There is one thing that MS doesn't tell you, but if you prod them enough through tech support, they will admit that they allow the same OS CD to be installed on up to 5 machines in a home situation..
waah?? Really?

My understanding is that they'll allow only one installation of WinXP, home or otherwise. MS Office and other programs, they'll allow installation on 2 computers in the home.

Never heard of this before

Old 05-23-06, 01:52 PM
the licensing on 'home' computers is a new development, and according to Microsoft Sales ( I called to check a few years ago ) applies only to certain products. According to MS you have to check the license that came with the software as well as check with them ( as they reserve the right to change everything ) to see if you are entitled to install on a second machine. And if memory serves it was Office they allowed this to happen with, not the OS itself.

I'm pretty certain they do not allow installation on two home PC's. THAT would have made headlines.

Old 05-23-06, 01:56 PM
> There is one thing that MS doesn't tell you, but if you prod them
> enough through tech support, they will admit that they allow the
> same OS CD to be installed on up to 5 machines in a home
> situation..

Perhaps what the tech meant is that for XP Home they don't cut you off from registering your copy until you hit 5 installs. With XP Pro I think it's ... 3? And with products like Project Manager 2003 they get pretty snarky after the second install. I guess systems never get hosed on the Microsoft Campus

Old 05-23-06, 02:02 PM
I've registered 10+ installs of xp from the same CD on 4 of my machines.. Everytime it screws up, or I upgrade, I reinstall it fresh.. Never had a problem with it registering..

Old 05-23-06, 02:06 PM
I've registered 10+ installs of xp from the same CD on 4 of my machines.. Everytime it screws up, or I upgrade, I reinstall it fresh.. Never had a problem with it registering..
Are you proud of breaking the law? It's frowned upon among ethical people.

Old 05-23-06, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Are you proud of breaking the law? It's frowned upon among ethical people.
Ordinarily I would agree with you but for someone to run 4 instances on their own machines in one house sorry but so what. Microsoft doesn't seem to have a problem with it don't know why anyone else would. It would be easy for MS to register each machines unique ID and only allow it on one computer. Oh and I run 3 instances. One on my super computer, and old laptop, and my daughters machine.

Old 05-23-06, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by BuiLDPro68
Ordinarily I would agree with you but for someone to run 4 instances on their own machines in one house sorry but so what. Microsoft doesn't seem to have a problem with it don't know why anyone else would. It would be easy for MS to register each machines unique ID and only allow it on one computer. Oh and I run 3 instances. One on my super computer, and old laptop, and my daughters machine.
Illegal activity is illegal, no matter who thinks it's okay.

The company I work for writes and sells software. If companies broke the law and illegally used our software we would not have the proper income stream to make it as robust as it is today, or to continually offer new versions with improved functionality.

I personally do not use commercial or shareware software I have not paid for, and I do not condone others who do so, or consider their activities ethical or them to be ethical persons.

Old 05-23-06, 10:12 PM
free as a bird

If you can't afford to pay for an operating system, you can always download and install Linux on as many computers as you like for free.

http://fedora.redhat.com
"Fedora Core is a free operating system that offers the best combination of stable and cutting-edge software that exists in the free software world."

Old 05-24-06, 05:19 AM
That came out wrong..
I only have 3 machines now, and 3 different versions of XP, but I have installed it many times on these, and other computers I have owned, and since torn apart.. The point is, it always registered..

Old 05-24-06, 08:56 AM
Axl: Is it XP Pro? And are you using the same serial number each time? I've rarely had to call in for XP to get a 'new' serial number when a system died. But have to almost every time for MS's higher end programs.

Then there's companies like Primavera or Autocad, where you have X days to use it. If you don't contact them and obtain a new installation number by then the program stops working.

Anybody remember donnegals? I picked up a client 2 weeks ago who actually has two programs which require LPT donnegals.

Old 05-24-06, 08:58 AM
bluewhale,

The correct term is "dongle". Programs still use them, although now the technology is USB. The more correct term is software key.

Old 05-24-06, 12:18 PM
That came out wrong..
I only have 3 machines now, and 3 different versions of XP, but I have installed it many times on these, and other computers I have owned, and since torn apart.. The point is, it always registered..
Microsoft has a 180 timer on activation. If you haven't re-activated the copy in the last 180 days, then you don't need to call Microsoft to do so (you can do it online)...

Old 05-25-06, 06:13 PM
Now I found someone on O selling the installation cd as legit for 6.99, and another selling the key viewer/changer for 6.00 also claiming to own copyrights. assuming they are legitimate vendors, can I upgrade by buying these two?

I don't need ride to hold up any mart, or any body. there are many companies who go un der, or are overstocked. they can offer their unwanted supplies for reasonable prices, No?

Old 05-25-06, 07:52 PM
The key viewer/changer, likely illegal.

Surplus software a company buys? Surely the have no right to resell it, especially at rock bottom prices.

If they are selling the geuine CD and a COA/License key, and the vendor is definately repuatble, maybe.

Old 05-25-06, 09:37 PM
um... I'll go out on a limb and say anything on line for a price like that is a fake or a scam to take your $5.

Microsoft actually has language in their contracts with the companies they give such fabulouse prices to that MS could cut that PC maker off if the discovered the company was reselling extra licenses. But MS never acts on it.

I think it becomes a barganing chip between the PC maker and MS the next time the contract comes up for renewal.

I'd suggest, IF you wish to be legal, you find the best price you can from a 'reputable' seller.

The only downside of not doing so? Not being able to obtain security patches. It's rare in my dealings with small companies, but when it happens alarm bells go off at once and they suddenly want to become 'legel' .

Old 05-25-06, 10:32 PM
I know it's just a bunch of 0's and 1's, but Bill Gates has a family to feed, you know?