Old 05-20-06, 09:36 AM
2x2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista

So will Vista O.S. have a 32 bit program

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-06, 10:09 AM
If you mean will there be a 32 bit version of Vista, the answer is yes.

Old 05-20-06, 10:12 AM
My understanding is that it will be offered both as 32 bit and 64 bit, as Windows XP is currently.

Beyond that I am ignoring it. All of the primary 'pillars' of the software have been stripped out over the past few years. Once it's out we will know what's in it. THEN adjust.

An article I read this morning indicates Microsoft is not being as nice with it's 'partners' like the antivirus vendors this time. They estimate it may take as much as one year AFTER Vista ships before third party vendors have a stable product to sell you for Vista. If true, this means Microsoft will be the only vendor with antivirus, anti malware, etc for a year.

Very smart of Microsoft, but probably not good news for the rest of us.

Old 05-20-06, 05:20 PM
Question: how long before Vista is industry standard? I mean how long before ANY computer you buy comes with it?

Old 05-20-06, 06:46 PM
Microsoft will be pushing the Windows Live OneCare as the automatic do all maintenance program of anti virus, anti spyware, back up utility, firewall and defrag in Windows tune up. In the past they wanted 3rd party vendors to do the virus scanning and operating system maintenance but that didn't work out very well. The OneCare will be very competitive though, for about 50 bucks you get all the above and can put it on up to 3 computers. They are also working on a register cleaner utility for the tune up process.

Vista simply does not look attractive to me, besides of course the new media experience. Everything else looks rather hard to get to in the operating system. Vista will have alot of variety in its systems though. A version for every need, but with a price. XP never took off in the corporate world like they hoped for. Primarily used for home users, the corporate world took to 2000 over XP when they upgraded from NT. I think MS is planning on not letting that happen again.

Old 05-20-06, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by kitkat32
Question: how long before Vista is industry standard? I mean how long before ANY computer you buy comes with it?

I hear they are planning for a launch of Christmas for the Vista OS. But they might not make that deadline.

Old 05-20-06, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Skipslot
I hear they are planning for a launch of Christmas for the Vista OS. But they might not make that deadline.
They already pushed this release date back once. A good bet is that they will push it back again. I'm betting late 2007 or 2008.

Old 05-21-06, 04:23 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
They already pushed this release date back once. A good bet is that they will push it back again. I'm betting late 2007 or 2008.
Maybe they well change some of the concerns that are obvious with it. But I doubt it, they have been planning this thing since around 2002.

Old 05-21-06, 09:18 AM
2x2
Vista arrival?

I don't think many people who sells computers are ready for it anyway?windows xp is working alright we can get cheaper computers and O.S. this way then the other

Old 05-21-06, 02:12 PM
The vendors, including the Mom & Pop shoppes, are more than ready for it to ship. Even those who do not build a new system when a new OS comes out still are likely to rationalize upgrading something in their current system, like a video card ( if possibe ). The trickle of parts sales turns into a flood for a while

We too held off on XP for a while, with only myself and one or two others trying it out for a year or two. Then we discovered a 'must have' app in it: the windows picture and fax viewer. I last searched over a year ago: at that time I still could not find a photo viewer that allowed one to move quickly through a directory of pics using the arrow keys. The folks I work for are mostly engineers who inspect buildings/houses for problems then come up with solutions/fixes. Some jobs have more than 15,000 photos in them. Once we showed the engineers this applet they all had to have XP asap.

Vista will have to have a 'must have' app to gain any traction. W95 had it in that it simplified networking as a workgroup. Suddently my CNE cert was next to meaningless, at least as far as small businesses went. And W2K gave us stability. I wish I could figure out what's missing in the OS today: then invest in whichever OS adds it in first. :mask:

Old 05-22-06, 03:39 AM
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...-MICROSOFT.xml

Looks like Symantec and Microsoft are going to war now, so it may delay the release of Vista even longer.