Dual Boot

Old 05-21-06, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dual Boot

I have a dell inspiron Laptop with Win xp and only 1 partition on the HD. I want to install win 98 as a secend os, so I can boot to 98 for autocad 2000 (will not work on win xp) My questions are
1.) Can I install 98 on the same HD as XP without uninstalling XP
2.) If I need to have seperate partition for dual boot can I partition now and can win 98 be install on another partition besides C?

I am trying to aviod having to uninstall xp to have a dual boot, is this possible.
Thanks for any help anyone can provide
Love this site!!
Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-06, 07:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you tried setting the compatibility mode for Autocad to Win98?

Old 05-21-06, 07:40 AM
I don't have it install now so I am not able too set it. I can't install it. When I try to install AutCad 2000, it comes up with an error message "Wrong OS Can not continue with install"

Old 05-21-06, 07:40 AM
I don't have it install now so I am not able too set it. I can't install it. When I try to install AutCad 2000, it comes up with an error message "Wrong OS Can not continue with install"

Old 05-21-06, 07:41 AM

Old 05-21-06, 07:41 AM
Dual Boot

Old 05-21-06, 07:42 AM
Dual Boot

Old 05-21-06, 07:43 AM

Old 05-21-06, 07:44 AM
dual boot reply

Won't let me reply in the orginal post

Paul

Old 05-21-06, 09:33 AM
OK.. You need to create a new partition to install the other OS to.. Partition magic will do that, as well as other programs.. The preferred way to do it is to hide the partitions from each other.. That way, one OS won't screw up the other one.. If you Google - hide partition - it comes up with a bunch of info..
I used to do this when I used OS/2, but you need the OS/2 installation disks.. I believe you can use Linux utils to do it also..

Old 05-21-06, 09:44 AM
dual boot

I will partition so I have the 2 drives. Now my question is Can I install win 98 on drive "d" I thought I read somewhere that win 98 will only install on drive "c". If that is the case can I move win xp to "d" without needing to reinstall?

Old 05-21-06, 10:12 AM
98 will only install to C: drive.. I believe xp will install to D:
The beauty of hiding partitions, is that no matter what OS you are running, it will always be C: drive..
Good luck..

Old 05-21-06, 10:35 AM
Dual boot

Thanks for your replies. Sorry for all the questions. I understand xp will install to "d" but I don't want to have to reinstall xp. With Partition Magic do you think I can move xp to "d" or am I not completely understand the "hide partition" Like I said my main thing is I want to be able to install win 98 without uninstalling Win xp. Agian thanks for your time!

Paul
(love this forum)

Old 05-21-06, 11:16 AM
If xp is already installed to C: then it must stay there.. It would take magic to change all the registry entries, etc. in order to get it to run on D:..

Old 05-21-06, 05:25 PM
Partition Magic

I haven't used a PartitionMagic released since they were bought by Symantec. But the version I use has a utility called BootMagic and it makes multi booting pretty painless

Old 05-21-06, 06:49 PM
Hi. Thrid world opinion diving in...

I don't do it much any more as XP is really pretty solid, but used to run at least 2 OS's on all of my systems as a failsafe. Partition Magic was good, tho I ended up buying System Commander.

However there are a couple of other options ( BTW: I am fairly certain W98 will install on another drive than drive C: ) One is the boot loader that comes with most Linux distros. It's quirky for windows users but it works.

The other is the multi boot option built into W2K and above. I'm not sure, but think I ran W98 as a first or second OS in conjunction with W2K. Unless you wish to run a Non microsoft OS I've found the boot loader from Windows to work flawlessly.

In any OS above ME take a look in the root of C drive for boot.ini. The MS babel used in the naming of the partitions, Rdisks, whatever is confusing without a map. But you can put your own name for the OS selection in, thus making it fairly easy to tell which one you are working on.

The only advice that comes CLEARLY to mind is to back up boot.ini before making any changes. This way you can always go back and start again.

Old 05-21-06, 10:34 PM
tae
Old 05-21-06, 10:37 PM
tae