Need Ram help

Old 05-25-06, 05:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Need Ram help

I would like to add more ram to my pc. I talked to my computer guy but he said to get it and he would install [I think I can do that part myself] I was hoping for advice on what to buy - maybe he's tired of fooling with me

This is what I have
AMB Athlon XP 2200 - 1.79 ghz 133 mhz cpu speed & dram frequency
The ram card is a DDR - 266, 128mb

I assume any replacement or addition needs to have 266 on it. I looked at tiger direct.com and they must have 50 cards to chose from

Do both cards need to be the same?
I have 2 DDR slots can 1 be 128mb and the other 256mb?
There seems to be a wide price range for similiar sounding [atleast to me] cards. Is 1 brand preferable to another? Is there a brand to stay away from?
How much ram do I need?

I would prefer to do it right but don't want to spend more than I need to. I really appreciate your help. Simple minds need simple answers

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-06, 05:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old 05-25-06, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
You'll get more infrom the computer gurus, but here's a layman's take:

It is best to have sticks of the same capacity. How much and what size are governed by your mother board. If you have the manual (or can locate the info on-line) it will tell you how many memory slots you have and what the capacity is. Yes you can run a 128 and a 256, but your total would only be 484, still somewhat below a decent amount. If it were me I would simply toss the 128 (or see if your geek will give you a few bucks for it) and install 2-256's to give you 512. BTW installing ram is very DIY, so I wouldn't pay a whole lot to have someone else do it. I would swap ram sticks in computers all day long for $20 a whack.

You'll get lots of opinions on which manuf memory to buy. I've generally used Kingston becasue it is generally fairly cheap and reliable.
You can try www.pricewatch.com to comparre prices.

Old 05-25-06, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
Oops, the guru got here while I was typing. At any rate, you can look up your memory on racrafts link and then check Pricewatch for deals. I'm thinking you can probably get the 256 sticks for about $25/ea.

Old 05-25-06, 01:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
If you have the manual (or can locate the info on-line) it will tell you how many memory slots you have and what the capacity is. .
I have the manual and verified by opening the side of the pc. While it has 4 slots only 2 are for DDR [2 SDR] Unless I missed it I didn't see any reference to capacity - only # of pins.

If I want 512mb couldn't I use a 512 card instead? 1- 512mb is cheaper than 2- 256mb

I saw the kingston brand and they did seem to have the best pricing.

BTW, my computer guy doesn't charge me but then I use my tractor on his driveway form time to time for the same price

Old 05-25-06, 02:04 PM
It doesn't matter if both Ram sticks are the same size. Don't take this the wrong way, but your rig is so outdated----any Ram upgrade will help. Don't worry about both sticks being the same size.

Some operating systems are limited in the amount of Ram that they can process. For example: Windows 98 can only handle 384MD of Ram. Anything more than 384MB on a Win 98 unit--and it will actually slow down. Been there, done that.

I am using XP Pro, and I have 2048MB of DDR400 running at 200MHZ. Thats 4 sticks of DDR400 X 512MB each. Needless to say, I can run my video editing software, and play any hot dog video game that I want--without Ram problems.

You should do a little research, and make sure that your motherboard and your operating system can handle the Ram you want before you go out and buy it. Then go out and buy as much Ram as you can afford to stick in there. Ram is your friend.

It's almost comical to me that you've only got 128MB of Ram. Even my back-up rig, downstairs in my hobby room, has 1012MB of DDR400. How do you even get it to boot with only 128MB of Ram? My old PIII with a 550MHZ processor and a 100MHZ FSB motherboard even had 256MB or Ram. Of course, it was SDRAM, but still. How in the world do you get anything done with only 128MB? Is it strictly a surfing machine?

Old 05-25-06, 07:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have xp home, and although my pc is probably inadequete for the computer literate [which I'm not ] It is light years ahead of my previous/first pc. It had 33 mhz with 32 ram win95, I didn't know how slow it was until I got this one. Of course the first one was free and this one I bought.

How do I find out how much ram I can install? I have the motherboard booklet than came with the pc. I've not seen anything pertaining to how much ram you can install but then I haven't necessarily understood all I've read.

The book says DDR 266 system board socket A M810D series - whatever in the world that means

I think I will go with a 512mb [$45] providing it will work. I understand there is difference between DDR and SDR. I have DDR and it sounds like it is better so I would see no reason to change.

If you could tell me or explain how I would find out if my pc is capable of using 512mb that would be great. If I can use it along with the current 128mb I assume that would be good too.

thanks for your help [and patience with my ignorance]

Old 05-27-06, 07:04 AM
The more the merrier

Marksr, you don't need to break your head over this, all you have to do is know your motherboard, current memory type, and operating system, then phone around people that sell memory and tell them the specs. They wil show you the way.

I don't know how you use your PC but 128MB of memory is not enough when running Windows XP, you need at least 256MB, but since memory is relatively cheap you should go for a minimum of 512MB, provided your system can take it, to have some flexibility for the future.

Old 05-27-06, 06:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for all the help. I'll probably go with 512mb, probably more than I need but then the 128mb was more than I needed to start with I'll see if the manufacture has someone I can check with to make sure the system will accept it.

Old 05-28-06, 03:44 PM
RAM Question

Here's another site you may want to check out. I have used them before with no problem. They can run a program to checkout your system to determine memory needs.

http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?...ory%20computer

Old 06-06-06, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
update

Well I finally got 512mb more ram installed, would have had it 5 days ago if this side of the county had a competent ups driver [but then that's a whole nother story ] I was hoping for some improvement in the way my pc worked but was really surprised at how BIG an improvement.

Thanks again for all your help