those who sell computers

Old 05-25-06, 09:52 AM
2x2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
those who sell computers

Is those who sell computers highly competitive
and maybe not so much money in it anymore?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-06, 07:55 PM
Unless you want to build highly customised systems, use high end components, and break yout back to support them, there hasn't been enconomic sense in building commercial systems on a small scale for years.

Old 05-25-06, 08:53 PM
IMSHO building PC's has been a penny pinching exercise for 10 years. It's changed over the years... a good yardstick is what does one pay for Windows XP Pro? OEM I pay $155. Dell et al pay something like $50. In a $500 system that's backbreaking.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1962371,00.asp

The link above is to a current PC Mag article on this very topic.

To me building our own means we choose which companies to deal with. Support is very key for us: there are usually two or three $50K copiers on fire, the backups last night failed, then a work station dies at 9 AM. If you build your own you generally can google or deduce the general area of the problem in 5 min. If you chose your components well you can call for support and get someone who can H E L P you within 15 min.

OTOH if you have a Dell you can call, wait, have language or VOIP difficutlies and move on from there ( after explicitly telling that tech you will NOT format and restore the hard drive for a clearly hardware related problem ). Or you can call IBM and get someone in Atlanta, Ga who is angry long before they picked up your call. Everyone's experiences differ, but I can't name a PC vendor I don't anticipate a problem with. I can name half a dozen component vendors whom I can. To me, that's the difference between build vs buy. Even tho we spend much more time building our own we feel we get a better/faster product and get MUCH better support by building our own.

Old 05-26-06, 06:37 AM
I normally have built my own with desktops. But when I went to purchase a laptop last year I wanted to buy one rather than build one since alot of very small parts were involved. I researched my purchase for 6 months prior and found one company that had excellent support and they have backed up every claim since, that company was Hypersonic-PC. A very small company but with very big ideas toward continued business growth through its support structure. When they sell a computer, they only put Windows on it with no other garbage software and you get the original Windows CD plus a recovery disk with name brand parts to boot. I had my laptop sent out the other month, it went out on a Monday and it was back by Friday with zero cost to me. The support is friendly and they speak excellent English and it doesn't cost extra for it. I use to purchase from big companies, but with competition the way it is today and the added pressure of profits most companies stick it to the customers time and time again, expecting them customers to come back. To me I say, "I don't think so".

Old 05-26-06, 09:06 AM
we usually suggest the customer let us build the server so we can assure top of the line componets .

work stations Im not evan going tot bother quoting , truly their better off with dell (then I get to charge T&M for troubleshhoting hardware problems )

Old 05-26-06, 10:46 AM
> (then I get to charge T&M for troubleshhoting hardware problems )

Old 05-27-06, 06:45 AM
2x2
laptops

Yes it sure is easy to buy a laptop you name it ebay whatever
it's no wonder so many want them there lighter(S&H) for cost