Download Problem

Old 06-01-06, 10:31 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Download Problem

I have two computers & download alot of videos. My main computer will allow me to download a number of files at a time but the 2nd one will only allow two (2) downloads to be running at once. I just added another 512 of memory (it only came with 256) but, while it runs faster, still will only download 2 files at a time. Any ideas?

Old 06-01-06, 10:49 AM
D
Forgot to mention it is a Compaq computer (about 1 year old) running Windows XP with 768MB of memory.

Old 06-01-06, 11:10 AM
To comply with current Internet standards (Request for Comments 2068), Internet Explorer limits the number of simultaneous downloads to two downloads, plus one queued download. This configuration is a function of the browser. However, as connection speeds increase, and the number of total connections that are allowed to Internet servers increase, the two-connection limit may be restrictive. To increase the number of simultaneous connections that are allowed to 10, follow these steps:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the following key in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
3. On the Edit menu, point to New click DWORD Value, and then add the following registry values:
Value name: MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server
Value data: 10
Base: Decimal

Value Name: MaxConnectionsPerServer
Value data: 10
Base: Decimal

4. Quit Registry Editor.

Old 06-01-06, 12:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Excellent advice kchinth.. I'll put that one in my book of tweaks..
There is another way also.. Speedguide.net has an optimizer that you can download.. It's one of several broadband tools they have.. At http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php there is a program that does the registry tweaks for you.. It's called SG tcp/ip optimizer..
It's great if you're leery of editing the registry yourself.. (It is possible to do MAJOR damage with regedit)..
First, goto pcpitstop.com and run their bandwidth check.. Write the values down..
Now,download tcp/ip optimizer and install it.. Lower right - click on Optimal Settings, set the Connection Speed slider on the top to 1000 HIGHER than what you think your connection speed is.. On my cable I set it to 6000..

Now, click on Apply Changes.. Click OK.. Exit the program..
Reboot
Go back to pcpitstop and run the check again.. Compare your numbers..

Old 06-01-06, 01:19 PM
D
Thanks for your replys....AxlMyk, I don't see any "Bandwidth Check" on that site...I do see a "Free Speed Check"...is that what you mean. I'm just fair on comouter things so please spell things out & I am leary of fooling with the registry.

Old 06-01-06, 01:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Internet Speed - Download and upload speed checks..
Run the checks a few times to get an average speed.. Internet speeds are affected by server bottlenecks at the time you are testing..

Old 06-01-06, 09:17 PM
J
If you are using some kind of mp3/video search software such as kazaa or winmx, you need to go to settings or options and change the number of simultaneous downloads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: