Floppy

Old 05-26-06, 05:32 PM
2x2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floppy

The fellow who sold me my computer put also a floppy on it
so I have a DVD burner to.The point I want to make is he said for the price of a floppy why wouldn't anyone want it !I agree
I know we recently had a floppy thread but Floopy's are great for small bits of info!I'm glad I have it I can burn CD's DVD's
and I also have a floppy"just ask for it?"

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-06, 06:41 PM
The reason they are not routinely put into PCs now is because they cost money. The computer manufacturers don't put them into the published specs so that they can advertise a lower price. They will, of course, put them into any PC as long as you pay extra for it. However, many, many people buy the PC based on the advertisement, not on what they should really put into their PC.

Old 05-26-06, 09:52 PM
tae
I hate floppies. they are slow, unreliable, and more expensive than blank cd's. Hardly any hardware or software comes with them anymore.Why spend $20.00 for that when you can have a cd burner that's much more versatile for the same price?

Old 05-27-06, 05:56 AM
A floppy makes perfect sense when going back and forth with small files in a multi computer environment. A CD-R costs money (and is gone) , and it's much faster to use a floppy. Of course a network is faster, but we're assuming this is not an option.

They also make sense for environments where files may be received from outside. For example, my church routinely received newsletter articles from one person via a floppy drive. This person has email, but for some reason refuses (or doesn't know how) to send the file via email. Who knows, maybe it's for social reasons. I understand that she stops in the office and usually has a chat with the minister while the secretary copies the file from the floppy.

Old 05-27-06, 06:38 AM
2x2
email Vs. Floppy

I found this out with a Baptist fellow I know I can send him email but he won't reply...I think I know why there scared everything is going to get forwarded and such who knows

Old 05-27-06, 07:08 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by racraft
A floppy makes perfect sense when going back and forth with small files in a multi computer environment. A CD-R costs money (and is gone) , and it's much faster to use a floppy. Of course a network is faster, but we're assuming this is not an option.

This is the perfect use for a thumb drive (or whatever they are calling it now).

While a bit more expensive, they are conveniant and fast. All you need to do is plug it into a usb port, download whatever info you want to transport and go.

Your use of distributing files to multiple recipients is a very good use of a floppy though. I still think a cd r or cd rw would be similar in cost and ease in this case though. If this person uses cd rw, you could return the cd to them for re-use, which I presume is what you are doing with the floppies.

Old 05-27-06, 10:49 PM
I have 2 floppy drives on my desktops and none on my laptop; but haven't used a floppy since I got my digital camera a few years ago. It uses an Xd picture card and I found out shortly after getting it that literally any file type can be copied onto one not just JPGs. All computers that use usb 2.0 can use it, but some of the older ones can't, but that is just a simple file download and it runs great then. In the case of what is described above it would not be feasible to casually give a thumb or jump drive to someone just to copy a file though. My experience with copying "certain" files to CD-RW have been met with some rather negative side effects. You go to insert them in another computer and they don't work the same, go and use the same procedure on a CD-R and it works perfectly. But then you can never use that cd again. I use to use floppies at work to transfer info because certain computers are restricted to using certain network drives and rather than re-logging in I discovered its just as easier to use Outlook Exchange by sending the file to myself and hooking up with my mail on the next computer. Made the whole process alot easier, now I have sub-folders all over my mail account.

Old 05-30-06, 07:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I always install a floppy drive in my machines.. If I need to lowlevel format a drive, I use diskette to boot the machine..
Carrying files with you is better done with a USB flash drive that you can carry in your pocket..

Old 05-31-06, 05:24 AM
The appropriate storage device for a PC is one that can be used on that PC.

No machines need drivers for floppies, all the software is built into the OS.

Some PCs need drivers for USB drives. If you don't have the drivers, the USB drive won't work.

Old 05-31-06, 07:49 AM
2x2
see I told you

Some PCs need drivers for USB drives. If you don't have the drivers, the USB drive won't work.

Thats the point I was trying to make concerning floppy you can grap bits of info and go without the headache and software
get it!

Old 05-31-06, 09:02 AM
Floppies were great back in the day, but they will definitley be completely extinct in the very near future. They are slow and don't offer enough storage for today's needs. Just look at cassette tapes. When CDs came out, people still used tapes and resisted changing to the new standard. But now, you will have a hard time finding a cassette player and will pay more because of it. Floppies will follow a similar path to extinction.

Originally Posted by AxlMyk
I use diskette to boot the machine
You can use CD's or USB drives to do this as well.

If the computer doesn't have a floppy drive, the floppy is useless. Nowadays, it is much more common to have computers with USB ports on the front and no floppy drive. I have only ran into one USB drive that required drivers. If yours does, buy a different one.

There is nothing a floppy does that can't be done a different/better way.

Old 05-31-06, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by kchinth
There is nothing a floppy does that can't be done a different/better way.
This is one of those statements that's true in a perfect world. However, reality is far from perfect.

When someone does not have a USB drive, does not have USB ports, does not want a USB drive, does not even know how to use a USB drive, but is very happy using floppies and has plenty of them, then anyone who want to share files with this person needs a floppy drive.

Old versions of DOS cannot access USB drives. If you want to put something on a native DOS computer, then you need either floppies or a CD (provided the PC has a CD drive and the drivers to access it).

(For those of you who don't know what DOS is, it was the original Disk Operating System used by PCs before Windows was written. It was still used as the underpinnings for Windows versions through Windows 98.)

One other minor point. Drivers are needed for ALL USB drives with some operating systems. It is true that Windows XP will be able to read most (if not all) USB drives without special drivers, however, Windows 98 won't be able to read any without special drivers. other operating systems are somewhere in the middle.

If you don't want a floppy in your PC then either remove it, or just don;t bother having it installed. However, if you want the maximum flexibility when it comes to exchanging files then you should have one.

Yes, they eventually will stop making them, and people will stop using them. But that won't happen for a long while. You can still buy VCRs and VHS video tapes, but there are much better ways to record shows.

Old 05-31-06, 03:07 PM
tae
You can still buy VCRs and VHS video tapes, but there are much better ways to record shows.
But just try to buy a beta

Old 06-01-06, 06:49 AM
2x2
USB thumb drive Ys. Floppy

Yes I sure wouldn't want a USB Thumb Drive that needs drivers

Old 06-01-06, 08:20 AM
I completely agree that floppies still have a use in certain circumstances. Most of my points were concerning the majority of computer users, who have Windows XP, USB ports, and the internet. For them, floppies have become almost useless. For Windows 98 and DOS users, floppies are almost essential. But I think the number of those users is not enough to keep floppies alive in the mainstream computer world. I don't think they will ever disappear completely, they will just become harder to find and more expensive.

Old 06-02-06, 06:49 AM
2x2
USB Thumb drives better

I guess USB Thumb drives are down to 25 dollars CDN

Old 06-02-06, 11:59 AM
Floppy

USB drives can be very handy and fast.

My latest desktop came with only 2 CD/DVD drives and I chose not to go through the trouble and expense of getting a floppy drive.

I recently had to go through 80 or more old 3-1/2" floppies to find and transfer some data to my desktop.

Fortunately, my old lap top could read them. I pulled the 1 GB SD(correct term?) out of my camera and everything worked great using a reader for the laptop USB port.

It did take a minute or so before to save the 800 or so pictures to one of my desktop hard drives.

The slowest part was reading and transferring from the laptop drive to the SD. The transfer from my SD to the desktop was almost instantaneous, as you would expect.

Most newer computers have capability to read a number of different removeable storage devices, which is convenient. If you do not have a reader, you can purchase one for your USB port cheaply($15-$30) that have the same capability. In a "brain-dead" moment, I forgot that I could have done the same thing easier with my 2 GB MP3 player, so that is also an option.

Dick