computer will not cut on

Old 05-27-06, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question computer will not cut on

I think lighting may have got my computer through the phone line. I have it hook to a surge protector and recently after a storm i tried to cut the computer on and it will not even come on my monitor and speakers will but the tower wont. Nothing else in the house has been affected I have to computers side by side and now only one will work so i dont know what is wrong. It is like it will try to come on but just wont. Please somebody help me.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-06, 10:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by myprobs
I think lighting may have got my computer through the phone line. I have it hook to a surge protector and recently after a storm i tried to cut the computer on and it will not even come on my monitor and speakers will but the tower wont. Nothing else in the house has been affected I have to computers side by side and now only one will work so i dont know what is wrong. It is like it will try to come on but just wont. Please somebody help me.
t5hat is what happened to me i found out i blew a fuse

Old 05-27-06, 02:00 PM
seems doubtfull the a lightnig strike through a phone line would totally kell your computer . modem I can see (and have seen a lot ) but not the whole thing .

have you tried it without the surge protector ?

have you verified that power is getting to it ?

thats where I would start

Old 05-29-06, 10:10 AM
yes i have tried it without the surge protector also plug it into a different outlet and also changed the power cord still nothing.

Old 05-29-06, 10:59 AM
tae
just had a family member go through this. fried the motherboard,power supply and memory.lucky it was still under warranty.

happened through dsl line.

Old 05-29-06, 11:11 AM
Power Surges

Surge protectors like you normally get in a store are not intended to protect your equipment from lightning strikes. Rather they are to protect you from the normal surges that occur throughout the day. Chances are your computer was fried through the power line. It's likely that your surge protector is gone too. If you really want to protect your equipment from lightning strikes you need to disconnect it from the wall outlets including the phone line as well. This goes for other sensitive equipment such as TVs, phones and even garage door openers.