Microsoft Internet Explorer not responding

Old 05-30-06, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Microsoft Internet Explorer not responding

I have a fairly new Dell computer which is using Windows
XP and am having problems with my Internet Explorer not responding. This has been going on for the past week. Any ideas or suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-06, 09:00 PM
well, what do you mean by not responding?
Does the program open then not get to the web sites?
What might have been changed by you just before this started?

There are a couple of quick fixes for IE, but first you have to see if you are really connecting to the web. Can you still use email on this system?

The other thought is to try Firefox, the better browser. If IT can not work then you probably have a connectivity problem which SHOULD be easy to resolve. If you have a memory stick you might consider trying to download Firefox and move it to the non-working system, install it and see if it works.

One other thought would be to open a DOS box (Start/programs/accessories/command prompt ) and type

ping 4.2.2.1

and hit enter. if you get 4 replies then your system is connected to the web.

Old 05-31-06, 05:54 AM
I can sign on to the internet and get MSN homepage then when I try to go from there I get a message that the Microsoft Internet Explorer is not responding.

The only thing that has changed is that my free trial to Mcafee had run out but I am also using AVG.

Thanks

Old 05-31-06, 09:16 AM
one thought JUMPS out: if you still have McAfee on your system uninstall it. Antivirus apps to Not get along. Most anti spyware apps do howeer I learned last week that Symantec's does not play well with the other children...

It sounds like a restriction in IE for securitys sake. Easiest way to tell would be to install Firefox and see if that works.

You might also try going to windowsupdate.microsoft.com within IE. if you can get there then it's probably the IE security... you can adjust those settings in IE under

Tools/Internet Options/Security then click on trusted sites to add more in.

Tho I still strongly recommend FireFox whenever possible just to avoid Active X controls that Microsoft uses so often.