computer recommendations

Old 06-09-06, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
computer recommendations

I have given up trying to fix my present computer myself,and to have it analyzed and labor to repair will be over $150. Its just your everyday basic 4 yr. old computer.
I'm looking at acomputer bundle package from Dell, Dimension 1100,with some upgrades,and a compaq Presario SR1811nx-b.
These are desk tops. Both are in the $500 range. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-06, 06:29 AM
I'm not a confusor pro but have owned both. Alot of my friends are totally against Compaq but I have owned 2 of them for home use and they were great with no problems. My current is a Dell Diminsion and I've now owned it for a year and it's been trouble free. Actually I like it a lot. I paid extra and had XP Pro installed and many other bells and whistles.

I know this don't help you make a choice but whichever one you choose as long as you keep the viruses out and keep it maintained I think you'll be fine with either one.

Old 06-09-06, 07:06 AM
I appreciate your input. I have a Compaq Presario now and don't have any real complaints other than it needs to be upgraded,and is not functioning properly. Dell seems to the choice of many. These computers are entry level that can be upgraded. The both have DVD burn and read capability,160 GB
hard drive,512 mb memory,and better processors than my present system ,so you can see what level of computer i need.

Old 06-09-06, 07:54 AM
I buy nothing but Dell computers.

You didn't post too many specifics, but here are my recommendations.

At least 1 gigabyte of memory.

A Pentium or AMD processor. Not a celeron under ANY circumstances.

A DVD+-RW drive and a DVD-ROM drive.

At least 160 gigabyte hard drive.

Separate video card with it's own memory.

Old 06-09-06, 09:36 AM
Thanks,
Thats the kind of info i'm looking for.
I have 256 mb memory now,40 gb hard drive,3 d graphics 22mb memory,intel celeron 1.4 ghz processor.
I don't download any games or music. computer is used to pay online bills,surf net ,download pics from a digital camera. I probably have just the basics which have served me well when i bought the machine 4 yrs. ago, but its time to upgrade.

Old 06-10-06, 08:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
wouldn't give you 2cents for the compaq's.. but some would say the same for Dell.. so... for your best interest, go to www.gotapex.com and check back every few days.. you can get what you want, just wait them out.. anywhere from 499 to ?... free shipping, free 17", 19"LCD with different models.. just sit back and wait, if you miss it, it will come back, just wait.. don't be to big of a hurry.. I think right now they have a pretty loaded 9150 series for about $699... but if you wait, it will get even better.. and.. don't upgrade the ram from DELL.. you can buy it cheaper on the net and install it yourself.. .. www.techbargains.com and type in search best price for (the memory you need).. it will give you the place to get it and the price to pay.. have fun..

Old 06-11-06, 05:56 AM
thanks for your reply and advice. Great web sites I'll check them out. I'm not in a big hurry.

Old 06-11-06, 08:08 AM
My Two Cents

I checked out the basic configuration of both your choices. I would suggest going up one model for either the Compaq Presario 1820 or the Dell Dimension 3100. The Compaq uses a AMD Sempron and the Dell is using a Celeron by moving up a model you would be getting AMD Anthlon or a true Intel Pentium 4.

Why? The most expensive memory on any computer is the "on-die" memory, it is also the most important. Both the Sempron and Celeron are compromising their "on-die" L1 and L2 memory. This makes a huge performance difference. It does add a little to the price but this processor upgrade performance return to cost is very high. RAM, Hard Drive Size, Video Card upgrades are all fairly easy to do. Upgrading a processor is not.

As for Dell vrs. Compaq, in my experience, I favor Dell

Old 06-11-06, 08:25 AM
I'll check those two out. I've been told to go with a AMD processor over a Celeron. 160 gb hard drive,1 gig sram,cd/dvd rw rom drive. Maybe i'll "build"/upgrade one.
Thanks

Old 06-11-06, 06:44 PM
I'm not a Dell or Compaq fan, so I won't go there.

I am an AMD fan though. The Sempron is to AMD like the Celeron is to Intel though. It has lower cache, so keep that in mind.

But it depends on what you do with your computer as well. I've seen alot of happy people with their Celerons and Semprons who do basic tasks on their computers, they don't need alot of cache. I've seen Celerons hang up during gaming, but if there's no games involved, well...

Same as with the hard drive volume, I would not recommend someone get a huge hard drive who just goes to the net and downloads their e-mail everyday. They can get by with a smaller amount and save a little or add more in another area. It comes down to what you really want in a computer. Is your old one completely shot? What about the hard drive? You could put it in your new one and have extra hard drive volume. Building one is a very nice idea and you learn alot from it. Many choices here.

Old 06-12-06, 06:05 AM
My computer has been shutting down randomly for several months now. have replaced some hard ware and done the virus trouble shooting thing. My neighborhood computer "guru" thinks the harddrive may be the culprit.
My computer is a compaq Presario 6300US,intel celeron 1.4 ghz processor,250 sram,40 gig drive,3d graphics 22mb memory,CD burner.
I have 66% free space on the machine. I thought rather than much more time troubling shooting and replacing components,i'd upgrade. I'm not a big computer user, bill paying,2 games ,surf net,photo downloads,e-mail. Pretty basic stuff i guess. I don't think i need many bells and whistles.
See my post earlier under "random shutdown"