DVD Ripper Freeware

Old 06-10-06, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DVD Ripper Freeware

I tried DVD Rip N Burn, but it had some pretty bad results. Not only does Rip N Burn include a bunch of adware, the sound quality was awful in the transfer to a WMV file. It would repeatedly cut out for one or two seconds. Plus, the picture ends up stretched out with black bars at the top and bottom.

Does anyone know of a reliable freeware DVD ripper? I'm just trying to rip some old VHS tapes to convert them into computer files. No pirating or anything illegal.

People have been very helpful with question on this forum, so I'd like to say thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-06, 05:00 PM
I use DVD Shrink. Also use Nero, and DVD Decrypter at times. www.pcmag.com 's library might have some things to try beyond these.

Re-reading your post, I'm not sure what's out there to capture the input from your VHS. Do you have a capture card in your system? Going from what format to which? I only dabble in this: if I can't help am hoping I can learn.

Old 06-10-06, 05:56 PM
I use Nero for just about everything anymore. A version came with my DVD burner and also with the software set up I got with my laptop, but neither was the paid version, which I believe is 7 currently. I don't know of any freeware though that would give you the quality that Nero can deliver. The output is very nice, providing you have the hardware equipment to handle it, but the nicest thing about Nero is it's extremely easy to use.

Maybe you can get a free trial version from here, but keep in mind the software is only as good as the hardware you're using and the quality of the input you are recording from:

http://ww2.nero.com/enu/index.html

Old 06-12-06, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Dent
I tried DVD Rip N Burn, but it had some pretty bad results. Not only does Rip N Burn include a bunch of adware, the sound quality was awful in the transfer to a WMV file. It would repeatedly cut out for one or two seconds. Plus, the picture ends up stretched out with black bars at the top and bottom.

Does anyone know of a reliable freeware DVD ripper? I'm just trying to rip some old VHS tapes to convert them into computer files. No pirating or anything illegal.
"DVD ripper" would imply that you're looking for software to copy DVD content to your hard drive, which I don't believe you're trying to do.

There are three components you need here, and I'm not certain if you need one, two, or all three:

1)Video capture utility - To copy what's on your VHS tapes to your computer.

2)MPEG encoding utility - To take the "ripped" content and convert it to either MPEG 1 (VCD) or MPEG 2 (SVCD or DVD). This conversion allows the video/audio to conform to a standard that can be read on your home DVD player. This can either be on a CD (for VCD or SVCD) or a DVD (for... DVD). There are actually several substeps involved in this.

3)Authoring utility - This allows you to take the converted video/audio and burn it to a DVD (or CD) with the proper file structure that will allow it to be read by your home player.

Doing all of this with freeware is entirely do-able, but can be frustrating. I'm assuming because you've tried it already, you probably have a capture program, but if you want to try another one, you cant try Virtualdub, or VirtualVCR. I haven't done much VHS video capture with freeware, so I can't really vouch for one over the other as far as quality. You'll just have to try each one to see which you like best. Virtualdub is a much better overall video utility, though (multiple functions, not just capture).

You can get them here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=VirtualVCR

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Virtualdub

There are several very good quality MPEG encoders out there that also happen to be completely free. Try Quenc, HC, or FreeEnc. You can find them all here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=40#40

TMPGEnc (which you'll find in the above link) is a great program that will let you do MPEG2 (for DVD) encoding free for 30 days (free trial). Even after MPEG2 encoding is disabled, it functions as an MPEG1 encoder indefinitely. MPEG1 is fine for VCD quality programs (half DVD quality), which play on standard CD ROMS in most home DVD players. Just remember that the quality is lower (which may not matter since VHS is pretty low quality), and you can't fit as much on a VCD.

TMPGEnc is a much better overall program than the freeware encoders that I listed above, and if you can get all of your tapes finished within 30 days of installing it, then the trial period expiration won't be an issue.

Authoring for free is a bit dicier, but still possible. Try DVDAuthorgui:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DVDAuthorgui

It's kind of late, so I really have no idea if all of this has helped or only served to confuse you . If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to try to help as best as I can.

Edit: Of course, re-reading your question, it doesn't appear that your aim was even to copy these files to DVD. Uggh... as I said, it's late. At any rate, I hope some of what I posted helps....

Old 06-13-06, 12:49 AM
Wow, lots of replies. Thanks everyone!

I didn't elaborate enough on the VHS business. I've heard of video cards, but apparently they're expensive, so I've been using a DVD recorder/player to dub VHS footage onto DVD. I would then put the DVD into the computer and try and find ways to rip the footage into computer files. All of these stages have had their problems and it's a bit frustrating. My computer won't even recognize DVD-RWs (I have to use my brother's) which I prefer to use since they allow me to rewrite over the footage.

And yes, that is helpful, air biscuit. Heheh.

Old 06-13-06, 11:01 PM
OK, now that's a bit clearer .

Yeah, essentially what your DVD recorder is doing is recording an MPEG 2 straight to your DVD. I don't know what your method has been for ripping the DVD content to your computer, but you probably already know that it can be pretty confusing - just a bunch of weird files that don't resemble anything that you're used to.

The files that contain the video on your DVD are .vob files. These are essentially MPEG 2 files that are converted to a format that will comply with standard DVD specifications (and therefore allow your home DVD player to recognize, and play them).

You can re-assemble the VOB files into proper MPEG 2 files using a great freeware utility called VOB2MPG. You can get it here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=VOB2MPG

VOB2MPG makes this process about as easy as it can get - there's no transcoding or encoding going on, so you are seeing the MPEG files at the exact quality that your DVD recorder has recorded them.

The big problem with VHS is, of course, quality. If the quality of the tape is mediocre to begin with, it will only get worse when attempting to direct-record it to a DVD.

If you really want to attempt to preserve the quality of your VHS tapes when transferring them to your computer, your best bet is really to buy a video capture device. These are not the same as video graphics cards (like the kind that come with a computer), although some video cards have capture devices built into them. You can buy decent capture cards/devices (some plug into USB ports rather than installing them inside the computer) for modest prices nowadays. You can get great quality ones for $80+, and pretty good quality ones for less than that.

If a video capture card is just not in the budget (believe me, I know how that feels ), then you don't really have any other options, sorry to say. You can possibly check your DVD recorder to see if there is an option to increase the quality/bitrate of the recording. Sorry, that's the only other thing I can think of