3 monitor problem...

Old 06-13-06, 10:35 AM
gsr
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 monitor problem...

I'm upgrading my computer to use 3 monitors.

Currently I have a Dell Precision 670 with a DVI card - NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400, everything works good with the duals. Now I'm upgrading to 3 monitors so I added a second video Card.

When I first install the video card (ATI Radeon, Analog with PCI connection) everything works good then I reboot and the second card takes over control of the computer and that monitor works but the other 2 don't show up. If I go into Display properties it shows the ATI card with 1 active monitor (1) and 1 inactive monitor (2) then it shows the NVIDIA card with 2 inactive monitors (3 & 4). When I try to activate them it says they cannot be activated.

Any ideas on why?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-06, 11:27 AM
Tho I've seen a few print ads showing it I've never seeen a system actually use more than two monitors. ATI has a splitting technology now which might get you there ? You might call both Dell and ATI: ATI first as they are the ones you are trying to add into the workstation.

Old 06-13-06, 12:07 PM
gsr
Monitors...

We have other systems running with 4 monitors currently so I would have thought 3 would be the same but not such luck.

When we add the 2nd card it becomes the primary monitor after the reboot. I wonder if that is creating the problem and if there is a way to force the computer to use the original card as the primary?

Thanks,
Greg

Old 06-13-06, 04:32 PM
I don't know if it would help but slightly older motherboards allowed you to choose whether the video card, or perhaps it was the primary video card, was AGP or PCI. Have you looked through the BIOS setup?
Beyond that I would think that three should be possible if one card is driving two monitors and the second drives the other one... But as it's an area where odd things often occur I just call for support: have a WiFi cordless headset phone just to allow me to hold for hours at a time

Old 06-15-06, 06:36 AM
gsr
Bios setting...

There was a bios setting to make the original video card the primary. Now everything works good.