Computer won't shut off.

Old 06-14-06, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Computer won't shut off.

When I try and shut my computer down it restarts. Its like I have selected 'restart' as opposed to 'shut down'. Its running 98SE.I have to unplug it to get it to shut off.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-06, 01:51 PM
Could be any number of things.

Have you considered reinstalling the OS?

Better yet, have you considered upgrading the OS, or if that's not possible (because the computer can't handle a new OS), have you considered replacing the computer?

Old 06-14-06, 02:46 PM
hello, another idea is if thers any power settings: go to control panel or settings and click on display then go to screen saver tab and down at bottom will have the energy star logo, click settings. in this box it should say what to do for shutdown, what to do when you press power button, what to do after screensaver and when to hibernate, please make sure that you have the settings set to turn off computer when I press power button. and give choice when restarting from start menu.

many computers you have to hold power buttom for 5 to 7 seconds for it to shut down

i hope this helps

Old 06-14-06, 05:18 PM
Believe it or not, this was one of the first things I heard of referred to as a 'feature' of Windows....
I can't recall if it affected all W98 versions, and as I recall only affected perhaps 10-20% of all PC's running W98, but this is quite possibly a Microsoft bug. They released a patch for it.

I just did a quick search: Can't say this is the Only patch MS put out for this but you might give it a try.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d...tured/win98se/

Old 06-15-06, 01:24 PM
Smile Bluewhale nailed it.

Thanks very much for the replies. The Win98 patch from the Microsoft website did the trick!!
Its an older computer and it has performed very well. I have been satisfied with Win98 except for the shut down problem. Now that is solved.