Home Network

Old 06-17-06, 05:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Home Network

I have 2 computers, both run Win XP Home Edition. I'm having trouble getting them to reconize each other and transfer files back and forth. They are both connected to the internet using a Linksys cable modem router (model befsr41). Any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 06-17-06, 06:51 PM
B
Probably a firewall, that plus you will need to share out a directory.. perhaps not. I'm not sure if this works for XP but for older MS operating systems you could ( once you see the other PC on the LAN ) log in with the same account as long as the name and password match on both systems. Make it an Admin equivilant account ( probably is already ).. that way you can use administrative shares to connect.

but first things first. Are you using the Windows firewall or a third party one? And what 'workgroup' are the systems assigned to? ( not sure if Home version has that assignment ? )

The two systems have to be on the same physical LAN, have IP addresses assigned in the same range, then have exceptions created in the firewall software to allow them to see each other.

Old 06-17-06, 06:55 PM
I'm kind of starting over from scratch at this point. Any step by step directions would be most helpful. Thanks

Old 06-17-06, 07:38 PM
B
Ok, but I might misstep as there are a few differences between Home and Pro versions of XP.

go to Start\Programs\Accessories and start the Command Promt. Type in ipconfig /all and hit the enter key. You will get a response with many numbers .. look for IP Address. What is the address for each PC? The rest of the info does not matter at this point.

Then, on each, go to Control Panel and look for 'Security Center'. Open that, then look at the top of three items, the Firewall.. hit the up/down double arrow to the right of the name and open up the details... Does it say Windows is providing the Firewall or is another program. For both systems again.

To find the workgroup name right click on My Computer and go to Properties. The second tab is 'Computer Name'... the workgroup name should be in the middle of that page. What is it for each system?

And I'd better ask to be sure: BOTH systems can get online currently, correct? Just wanted to be certain.

Old 06-17-06, 08:19 PM
Both systems can get on line and the ip addresses are 1 digit different. Could the problem be that I am using a Belkin KVR switch between the 2 computers?

Last edited by meatloaf2; 06-17-06 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-18-06, 10:07 AM
B
possibly.. tho likely not.
Does the network patch cable go through the Belkin switch? If not then they are both connected at the same time. It will not matter if the keyboard is active on both at the same time.

How about the other pieces of information?

Old 06-18-06, 10:33 AM
No, the cable does not go thru the switch. The cables connect to the Linksys router. I keep getting an access denied message.

Old 06-18-06, 12:55 PM
S
Before any one can help you, you have to answer the questions you have been avoiding. Are you using a firewall? If so, what kind? Also would be helpful to post any additional info voluntarily.

If you know the IP address of the other computer, try pinging it:
Open start, run, type cmd and proceed with the words ping and then the IP address of the other computer. If its lost then no connection has been established so you can try something else.

Go to a folder on the other computer and right click the folder you want to share, proceed to go to the sharing tab and insure the folder is marked for sharing. If it is already, then try to uncheck the folder and then recheck it to re-establish the share properties.

That's about all we can help you with given the info we have so far.

Old 06-18-06, 02:20 PM
R
If both computers can access the Internet through the router then they are getting an IP address and communicating properly.

If you have a firewall, you have to open it for the other computer. You must also make sure that the files (and folders) are accessible. You must also make sure that file and printer sharing is configured.

Microsoft has detailed documents on how to do this, and there are numerous web sites that have additional, perhaps simpler, directions posted.

Old 06-18-06, 02:35 PM
S
Both computers are communicating with the router but they are not communicating with each other, which is what we are trying to resolve here.

Old 06-18-06, 08:54 PM
B
ok, I'm going out on a limb here.
is it possible that at least half of what was just posted is only semi-english to you meatloaf2?

If not, sorry. Carry on.
IF so, go back to the earlier replies and try to answer each one clearly. As you've done with those you have answered.

" Dr, my chest 'urts "
" Do you 'ave 'oles in yur body? "
" 'Ave you been getting 1 hour of cardio a'day? "
" "am ah the benficiary on your life policy??? "

As you may have encountered, minutia is often key when resolving a @&^!$!#@$~ computer problem.

YES there are multiple ways to fix every problem. But without 'basic' troubleshooting/info anything further is a waste of time.

so: any chance of digging into me first and second replies and posting the results? it will N O T fix the problem. unless you've missed something really, really dumb. As I did this weekend for a friend. but the info has to be here to go further.

Paul

Old 06-21-06, 01:16 PM
File and Print Sharing Installed?

I didn't see it mentioned but File and Print Sharing must be installed in your network connection. XP Home has most of the network tools cut out but I think a quick check to see if it is enable is to open Windows Explorer, make sure your View has Folders selected in Explorer Bar, move your mouse pointer over a the icon for your Local Disk (C: Drive) on the left hand side only (the side that shows everything rather than just the contents of a selected folder), and Right-Click on the Drive. On the Pop-Up menu that appears look for Sharing, if it isn't there you won't be able to connect. To add Sharing, go to the properties page for your network connection, click Add/ Install, Select Service, and Select MS File and Print Sharing. You might have to reboot. Next in Windows Explorer select a folder Right-Click, Select Sharing, and share it out (in my experience something has to be shared before you will see the computer). Then try to access the file from the other computer. A quick way is to go to Start, Run, Type in \\192.168.xxx.xxx and press Enter where 192.168.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the other computer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: