Windows XP does not recognize CD Rom

Old 06-21-06, 01:59 PM
EdS
Visiting Guest
Windows XP does not recognize CD Rom

About a week ago my system started to stall every so often. (The mouse would just freeze for about 10 secs.) Reboots seem to solve the problem. Recently, the CD roms (I have two, one burner; one non) disappear? Meaning, windows explorer did not recognize the drives, either one. Reboots sometimes show "new hardware added" but again, windows explorer does not recognize either drive. Does anyone have any suggestions what might be the problem.

Equipment:
HP, 850Mhz, 40G hard drive (19G free), w/ 512Mb ram, running windows XP home edition w/SP2.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-06, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What kind of virus/spyware are you running? Something serious and intermitent like that makes me suspect malware. I would do a thorough scan for both with updated definitions and see if it finds anything. If not, a system restore to a point before you started having trouble might resolve the issue.

Old 06-21-06, 02:30 PM
EdS
Visiting Guest
I'm running Norton Antivirus 2006.

Old 06-22-06, 05:58 AM
EdS
Visiting Guest
I managed to get one of the CD drives, the burner, running again. The computer still doesn't recognize the other drive. Although, when I look at the properties for my computer, the hardware is shown as there and working properly. I have Roxio as my CD burning software.

Old 06-22-06, 06:56 AM
Given that the spyware and virus are under control, run system file checker to repair your *.dll files.

Old 06-22-06, 07:23 AM
EdS
Visiting Guest
Chris,

I'll try that. How would the .dll files get corrupted? Also, this might be a mute point now, but, on a few reboots my system(plug and play) recognized the drives during startup (the little icon at the bottom right of the screen said so). I never uninstalled the drives?

Old 06-22-06, 07:33 AM
If you feel comfortable opening the case, I would ensure that the cables to the drives are inserted securely. I have seen them come loose before. Also, the thin grey cable that connects the drive to the motherboard might be failing. I have seen them suddenly go bad for no apparent reason.