Moving

Old 07-01-06, 09:14 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving

I'm looking to format my drive & install a new OS (using XP Home now, moving up to XP Pro ... I want a completely clean install so that's why I am formatting).

1) I would like to save my email messages, either as text files or in *.eml format but so far I have been unable to find a way to export more than 1 message at a time (using Outlook Express & Mozilla Thunderbird). Where are the messages stored? Assuming I can find where they are, can I just copy them to a disc and move them back later?

2) I have a network set up now (1 other machine plus mine). Do I need to install a new one after the transfer or can I simply re-enter the settings I am using now?

3 Any other tips to make the process smoother/easier?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-06, 10:23 AM
C
For outlook express: Tools, Options, on the Maintenance tab there's a button labeled Store Folder. Click that, and it will tell you the folder containing your email folder.

Open the address book, either from the accessories menu item on your Start menu, or by pressing Ctrl+Shift+B in Outlook Express. In the address book, select File, Export, and click on Address Book (WAB).... You can now select a location and filename for your address book to be placed.

You can enter the same settings again, if they apply.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-01-06, 08:40 PM
B
Which version of TBird? If prior to about 1.0, you'll want to make a full backup first as the prior releases tended to be a bit buggy when updating. To back up and move your TBird mail go under documents and settings, your logon name, The hidden folder ( in XP Pro: not positive this is identical in Home ) Application Data, then copy the 'Thunderbird' folder out. Once you have the new system up and TBird installed start the program one time as you, Fill out the info, then close it and ... the best way I've found at this point is to drill down to the actual mail files and copy them one by one from your 'backup' into the new TBird folder in the appropriate place. I have tried just copying the entire 'Thunderbird' Folder into the new system however it often causes a bug which will make the program ask if you wish it to be the default email program. It will ask this question every time you start it whether you say yes or no.

If I understand correctly you wish to use the same IP info for your new Windows install. If you're using DHCP then it's automatic and will work fine. And if you assign static addresses you should be able to use the same one again as the only other system using that IP is now gone/erased.

If you have the room you might consider just burning all of your data to DVD's. Home users often store stuff in the most unlikely places. If others use this PC it's usually better safe than sorry. Plus this gives you a full backup at a set point in time for future use.

IF multiple logon accounts do exist, remember that 'my documents' exists for each logon account. Same for TBird if they use it. All located in the place above, under Documents and Settings.

Got a good firewall ( zone labs ) and spy program ( Tenebril )? Both are free and are top notch.

Good luck with the switch.

Old 07-03-06, 06:27 AM
E
Thanks for both replies Yes, I am patiently burning everything to DVD's ... seems like there is no 'easy' way other than to copy messages and data individually.

I've done this before but I'd forgotten (blocked out of memory?) how difficult it is.

Thanks again.

Old 07-06-06, 07:10 AM
E
I'm still moving/backing up old files & haven't started the OS change yet. I have a boot floppy all set to go -- basic startup with generic CD drivers but since I don't have a CD (just have a DVD burner/player), are the generic CD drivers OK or will I need something else for the DVD to work?

Old 07-06-06, 07:50 AM
Just put the Windows XP cd in the drive when you start the computer and it will boot off the cd. You don't need a floopy boot disk. If it doesn't work, you need to make sure your computer is set to boot to cd before the hard drive in your bios settings. If you need help with that, post back.

Old 07-06-06, 08:22 AM
E
I have had a lot of trouble getting into BIOS (can't hit the DELETE key fast enough it seems ... that's why a technical friend gave me the boot floppy.

Back to my original question ... will the generic drivers work with the DVD?

(I suppose I could just boot to the floppy right now and find out right?)

Old 07-06-06, 11:44 AM
B
By definition a computer DVD player is a CD player, and the Windows install CD will boot from it if it is the default boot device.. if there is an OS on the system already you might have to hit 'any key' when prompted.. not sure if that applies to W2K and XP or W2K Only..

Best thought to get into CMOS is start hitting the key you need to get in with every 1 to 1.5 seconds from the begining of the power up.. I usually start this when I hear the beep but that differs with each system. IF you enter more than 15 or 16 keystrokes before a OS/Program starts to actually accept those strokes then you will overload the keyboard buffer on the MB. However if you system is that fast you should not be able to hit the 'Del' or F2 or whatever key more than 3 or 4 times if once a second before it either starts the OS or goes into CMOS.

Old 07-07-06, 05:32 AM
E
I somehow managed to get to BIOS before the buffer overload & it says that my CD is the default first choice. I think I'll try the install today.

If you don't hear from me again, you'll know something went wrong

Thanks Blue

Old 07-15-06, 09:31 AM
E
Just wanted to again thank everyone who helped. The changeover went flawlessly & I'm back up & running :-)