Windows 98 woes

Old 07-06-06, 02:28 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows 98 woes

Awhile ago you gave me help on loading windows 98 over another O/S. It worked pretty well, but now:

1. Now the computer I just reformatted with 98 will not recognize the cd-rom drive. The setup runs fine, but when it's in the final stages I keep getting told to insert the 98 cd, but it is unable to read...

2. So then I thought I'd get real smart and take the modem out of this computer and put it into the other computer that I didn't have any trouble loading 98 on, so I could get on the internet. Well guess what, now the monitor won't work in it's original plug. I had to move it to see what the #$@ was going on and now the second computer thinks I have 2 monitors hooked up, and will not load the modem. I can't find anything about deleting one of the monitors. It looks like because of the second monitor, there seems to be a resource conflict so I can't load my modem (I think).

3. I know - keep my day job.

If anybody can figure this out, I know there'll be a place in heaven for you!!

thanks again - you guys are the bomb!

Old 07-07-06, 08:26 AM
2x2
Originally Posted by mcacres
Awhile ago you gave me help on loading windows 98 over another O/S. It worked pretty well, but now:

1. Now the computer I just reformatted with 98 will not recognize the cd-rom drive. The setup runs fine, but when it's in the final stages I keep getting told to insert the 98 cd, but it is unable to read...

2. So then I thought I'd get real smart and take the modem out of this computer and put it into the other computer that I didn't have any trouble loading 98 on, so I could get on the internet. Well guess what, now the monitor won't work in it's original plug. I had to move it to see what the #$@ was going on and now the second computer thinks I have 2 monitors hooked up, and will not load the modem. I can't find anything about deleting one of the monitors. It looks like because of the second monitor, there seems to be a resource conflict so I can't load my modem (I think).

Windows 98 is pretty much obsolete and is not supported anymore by microsoft I know from experience windows 98 needs a lot of help try going into windows explorer and click on the CD-Rom manually

Last edited by 2x2; 07-07-06 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-07-06, 08:53 AM
H
Or you have to look at who made the card or the model and hunt around with google searching for the drivers usually you can find old drivers, I am have found some really really old ones

Old 07-07-06, 02:57 PM
C
Windows 98 is a pain.. WIN XP has spoiled most of us techs but you can get the numbers off your modem like the guy posted above and find them online pretty easily. You can check the manufacturers site first for the EXACT model and version you have then if that fails Google is your friend and you will probably end up on Drivers.com. Try to get your self a copy of Win2k or WinXP if your system is fast enough it. As far as the monitors go I would try right clicking them in device manager and uninstall them both and reboot. good luck!

Old 07-07-06, 04:30 PM
B
Not seeing the W98 CD was a common problem for installs, just as you described. Common enough that I remember it anyway I THINK it had to do with the brand of the CD and the driver loaded in config.sys.. It's been a while: I think we would just manually code in the lines in config.sys which were required... no way to give you that data now.. Do you have another CD brand to try with? Some of the CD's would not work with the 'oak' (?) CD driver, which was standard for these installs.

I'm not sure about the monitor problem: is it THIS PC having a problem or your known 'good' other PC? What does W98 say that you object to? Screen not work? Error message? And by 'plug' do you mean the slot on the motherboard that the video card goes into or the data cable that connects the video card and the monitor?

Old 07-08-06, 04:19 AM
Both Needed

You have to add the device loading to your config.sys file and you have to load mscdex.exe in the autoexec.bat file and associate it with the device id you assigned with the device driver in the config.sys. However, the easiest thing to do is to use the Windows 98 Cd. The Windows 98 CD is bootable so just boot from the CD but select boot to DOS instead of running the OS install. At the C:> type in the following commands:
1) md Win98 - this makes a directory on your c drive
2) cd Win98 - this moves you to that directory
3) d: - (where d is your CD drive) moves you to your CD
4) cd Win98 - this moves you to the Win98 directory on the CD (this is where all the OS setup *.cab files are located)
5) Copy *.* c: (or Copy *.* C:\win98\ if you didn't do step 2) - this copies the setup files to your hard drive
6) c: - moves you back to the c drive
7) cd \ - moves you to the root of the c drive
8) c:\win98\install.exe ( could be setup.exe) - this starts the Windows 98 OS installation

This is useful for two main reasons. One, it doesn't matter if windows 98 loses you cd rom during the install (this can happens went the installation tries to change from DOS drivers to Windows 98 drivers. Two, Your windows 98 cab files are located on the hard drives, so with changes, like adding a printer, the Windows 98 OS won't force you find and insert your Windows installation CD

Old 07-08-06, 07:11 AM
mike_s104
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mcacres

1. is the CD scratched or damaged?
2. the modem probably has nothing to do with the monitor issue. I would check to make sure the modem and video card are both in the slots on the motherboard correctly. do this you AFTER you turnit off and disconnect the power. did the modem work in the other PC? did you get the correct drivers for the modem for the OS on the PC that's it's being installed? you can "delete" the second monitor by going to Control Panel>Device Manager (I may be off here since I have not used Windows 98 in about 4-5 years) then monitors. delete all monitors there and reboot. you may need the drivers for the video cards once it reboots. it may show "2" monitors if there are 2 connectors on the video card for 2 monitors. really, I would not worry about it.

3. you would be correct.

4. have you thought about a new PC?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: