Virus or Hard drive failure?

Old 07-08-06, 01:34 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Virus or Hard drive failure?

The computer is a Systemax with a 1.70 Celeron GHx cpu with 480 mb of ram.

While using computer the screen went blank and it triet to reboot. I got an error message that the config.sys files could not be found and Norton GoBack listed files that had worked previously to boot but it still would not reboot. This hard drive was replaced about 18 months ago and is a WD 1600 Caviar SE. I put the old hard drive back in and everything seems to be working ok. There is some data on the failed drive (?) that I would like to recover.

Any help will be appreciated
Doughboy

Old 07-08-06, 02:14 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I recommend that you reformat your hard drive and start over.

Pull off what you need from the hard drive first by installing it as a second hard drive in the system.

Old 07-08-06, 03:26 PM
mike_s104
Visiting Guest
another method would be to use the old hard drive that you said is working, install and update good antivirus software sicne you think it could be that. next, turn off the PC and install the newer hard drive as a primary slave or secondary master or slave. if you don't need the CD-ROM, just disconnect it and use the IDE cable on the newer hard drive. this would prevent you from maybe having to deal with jumpers. once you reboot and can see the other newer hard drive, copy the files over to the old hard drive. next, put everything back like you currectly have it with the newer hard drive. you would then want to reinstall the OS and make sure you format the entire drive. a quick format into NTFS should be fine, but to be safer, do the full format.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: