Slow start up

Old 07-11-06, 08:21 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slow start up

Hello,

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 running Windows XP on. I am experiencing a very slow start up on my computer. Once the computer has all applications running aprox. 10 min. Then all applications, internet, etc. runs fine.

Any ideas to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

Joey

Old 07-11-06, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depending On Confidence

Depending on how confident you are try these out. They start easy
1. Check Start up to see what's loading when you start up
2. Check Microsoft Security Centre -
a)do you have Automatic Updates enabled to automatically install? There have been several lately and your boot may be slowed by updates installing on boot.
b) Are your anti-virus definitions up to date?
Make sure the have the latest definitions and run a full system scan
3. Are your anti-spyware definitions up to date?
Make sure the have the latest definitions and run a full system scan
4. Check Event Viewer in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - scroll through the recorded events - anything other than a blue circle with a white "i" could be slowing the boot.

Unless you are pretty confident, I would suggest stopping now. The following can really hoop your computer.

5. Regedit
Check out Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run in both HKLM and HKCU to see what's loading. Anything you don't recognize get the file name and search for it on your computer. If you don't find it, it maybe slowing boot down trying to find it. If you do find it check out its properties to see if it is legit. Unsure post the filename.
6. msconfig - you can use this utility to selectively add and remove drivers, programs and services from loading on start up to try and isolate the problem
7. Check Services loading automatically. When trouble shooting you can try switching some from automatic to manual.
8. Check for a unauthorized root kit

There are more but I'm going ta bed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: