Network Config Help Needed

Old 07-15-06, 11:31 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Network Config Help Needed

Hi, Here I come with more netwok problems This is a two computer network running on a crossover cable. I have the hardware connected and running but can't access from the PC to the laptop or vice-versa. The connection is active and shows at 100.0 Mbps I have called several guys for help but they explain stuff and say that's all there is to it,but I still can't get it to work. I have both HDD's shared and my internet connection and printer too, but when I go to "My network places" and clic on "View Workgroup Computers" it just shows the local computer. I have run the "set up a home or small office network" wizard on both computers,and they both have the same workgroup name. One is named PC01, the other,PC02. They both run Windows XP Pro,although one has only SP1 while the other has SP2 also one is English, the other Spanish,but that shouldn't make any difference.
I want this network to work for sharing files,printers,connections,and I want it to work for gaming too if possible. Also programs can be shared too,is that right? For a little while the PC did recognise the laptop,but I could not access it,and now it will not show it again.
I would appreciate if somebody out there would give me a bit of help on this, tell me where to start or something.
Oh yes, I think it might have something to do with the "Map network drive" in "tools" but I don't know what to type in.

Last edited by Tornerito; 07-15-06 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-15-06, 03:30 PM
S
Have you tried pinging the other computer to verify you indeed have a connection. Also if you have a firewall this will interfere if you don't allow the connection.

I had an ad-hoc for a short time on a wireless set up and decided it was not worth it, so I went the router routine. Takes alot of the congestion out of network trafficking that will eventual slow down your primary system, the one that actually controls the network.

Old 07-15-06, 03:51 PM
M
One of the computers needs to be able to provide IP addresses for the network or it will never work.

Start the DHCP server on one computer, and DHCP Client on both computers (probably is already started)

Old 07-15-06, 07:10 PM
T
OK,I got the some info from ThechnoGraphitePc.com so I will try again when I get the cable back,because I took it to get a connector changed.
Ok what do you mean by DHCP and server/client please? and someone told me something about pinging but I thot it was "pin" not Ping will see how it goes, and will update

Old 07-15-06, 07:43 PM
I took it to get a connector changed.
so someone is making up this cable for you ?

that could be your problem

buy a factory made cable and save yourself a lot of grief

Old 07-15-06, 08:03 PM
T
well yes somebody is making my cable, or made rather,but since I know that the cable is properly connected at both ends that cannot be my problem.

Old 07-15-06, 08:53 PM
R
Do not attempt to configure DHCP on one of the computers. That is the wrong way to go. DHCP only makes sense when you have a router setup with numerous computers. Even then it's use is often inappropriate, although many people insist on using it.

Configure each computer with a hard wired IP address. Use 192.168.1.1 on one of them, and 192.168.1.2 on the other. Or if those don;t suit your fance, use anything in the same 192.168.x.x class.

Old 07-15-06, 09:00 PM
how do you know the cable is good ?

home made cables are a major source of network issues .

(known in the trade as scrap crap becouse they often are made from scrap cat 5 solid cable and perform like crap )

Ip dosnt need to be in the `192 range use whatever you like

I usually use a 10.0.0.1

ect keep the first three octets the same just change the last

Old 07-16-06, 06:27 AM
R
Mango is correct, that IP addresses don't need to be in the range I mentioned. However, that is the most widely used class of addresses in the set reserved for local networks (non-routable and non-existent on the Internet).

I suggested that class of addresses because thyere ius a very good chance it will be the same class as any router you might eventually purchase and because someone else looking at the addresses will has a better chance at understanding what they are for.

Old 07-16-06, 09:04 AM
T
I know the cable is good because when it is connected both computers say that the local area connection is active at 100.0mbps. It is not really home made cable,my tech makes them,he has a cybercafe and makes his own cables for that I believe.

Old 07-16-06, 05:02 PM
tae
in xp, go to the control panel, and then the security settings. make sure the firewall is off. make sure you are not running something like zone alarm or an antivirus with firewall.
Are you using Internet Connection Sharing on one of the computers to share a connection? If not, you may need to install either the IPX or NetBEUI protocols.

Old 07-16-06, 07:34 PM
T
more IP help

hey I checked the laptop and it says that "IP routing" is not enabled,how do I do that,I imagine that is part of my prob
thanks

Old 07-17-06, 05:29 AM
R
Set the IP addresses properly. Then no routing is necessary.

IP routing has to do with examining packets and making sure they get to the correct network. A router performs IP Routing.

In a typical home network there are two networks. The in-home network, referred to as the intra-net, and the outside network, which eventually connects to the Internet. The router examines the packets it receives from your home computer and decides if they need to be sent, or routed, to another computer in your house or to the Internet, and sends, or routes, the packet to the correct location.

You do not need IP Routing , as you do not have more than one network. You have a single network. Set the IP addresses properly and the messages about IP routing will go away.

Old 07-17-06, 07:22 AM
T
ok, so if I set the both IP's in the same range with only the last digit differing that should do the trick? Also where exactly do I go to set that,I know I can find it myself,but then its always easier if someone tells you how to do it

Have A nice Day!
Tornerito

Old 07-17-06, 10:31 AM
R
Find and open the network connection in the control panel. Then select TCP/IP properties.

Old 07-17-06, 11:32 AM
B
Windows XP typically blocks file sharing through it's internal firewall. Check to ensure that this firewall is disabled.

Control Panel --> Security Settings --> Firewall (disable it)

Old 07-18-06, 08:08 AM
T
Ummmm. I have haep big problem,seems I set both my IP's in the 10.0.0.* range and when I Ping them it works fine. It seems I just can't access one computer from th other or viceversa.
What's up here

Old 07-18-06, 08:24 AM
R
Did you enable file sharing? Did you turn off the firewall?

Old 07-18-06, 09:59 AM
T
yes,file sharing is enabled,and the firewall is set for networking,but I'll try turning it off completely.
thanks and good day!

Old 07-18-06, 10:11 AM
W
wgc
what do you mean "access"?

Originally Posted by Tornerito
Ummmm. I have haep big problem,seems I set both my IP's in the 10.0.0.* range and when I Ping them it works fine. It seems I just can't access one computer from th other or viceversa.
What's up here
If you can ping each from the other, it means you have the basic network working. However what do you mean by "can't access"?

Others have asked about whether the firewall is enabled: if it is enabled, it can block some services you might want to use. If you are going to connect to the internet, you _must_ enable the firewall, but we can tell you how to enable only the things you want.

One possibility is name resolution. Are you just trying IP addresses or computer names? Is it resolving names correctly. For example, did you try both:
ping 10.0.0.2
and
ping pc02
If you are having problems with file sharing, did you try to "Map Network Drive" to both:
\\10.0.0.2\YourShareName
\\pc02\YourShareName
(and did you verify on the other PC that the directory really is shared with the name you think?)

Old 07-18-06, 09:36 PM
T
what I mean by access

Let me explain what I mean. Now I have progressed some,tho I still Don't have it running right.
The way I understand it I should be able to see the contents of the other system if I go to "my network places"(although now I can get into the files on the laptop thru "My network places" and "map network drive" and if I clic on "view workgroup computers",but not the other way around) both computers should appear. Am I right up to this point someone?? Ok,when I go to either of those places on the laptop it will show me only the contents of the local computer,or more clearly,the one I am using at that given momment. And also it will not "ping" from PC02 to PC01 unless I ping from PC01 to PC02 just before, If I do it works fine.
I cannot ping using the "PC**, only the IP works.
If I Map network drive to the laptop with the IP I can get in to the files but if I just use \\PC02\********** it will not work. And it will not work either way from the laptop to the desktop. For Example I am now playing a DVD on PC01 that is in the DVD drive on PC02, but it will not work the other way around. It is not A firewall problem because it is the same whether the firewall is on or off. Also Is there any way of shring all files without going thru all of them and sharing them separately? Also is there no way to cofigure it so that the other machine appears as a single system,with the drives and files exactly as they are on that machine.
Waht I mean is this, the remote computer would appear as PC02 for example, and the drives and files would appear exactly as they would appear if you were in "my computer" on that machine. I don't know if this is possible or not,just asking.
I'll Update you more later,I need to hit the sack. I appreciate your help thanks!
Tornerito

Old 07-19-06, 06:42 PM
T
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
If you can now ping each other - then you have eliminated all hardware issues.

Make Sure Client for Microsoft Networks is installed as a Protocol for both computers.

Right Click on My computer, then Properties - make sure both are in the same work group. Note the computer Names. They must be different.

Right Click on My Network Places , then search for computers, put in the Computer Name noted above.

Try this site:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

Old 07-19-06, 08:45 PM
P
Originally Posted by Tornerito
Hi, Here I come with more netwok problems This is a two computer network running on a crossover cable. I have the hardware connected and running but can't access from the PC to the laptop or vice-versa. The connection is active and shows at 100.0 Mbps I have called several guys for help but they explain stuff and say that's all there is to it,but I still can't get it to work. I have both HDD's shared and my internet connection and printer too, but when I go to "My network places" and clic on "View Workgroup Computers" it just shows the local computer. I have run the "set up a home or small office network" wizard on both computers,and they both have the same workgroup name. One is named PC01, the other,PC02. They both run Windows XP Pro,although one has only SP1 while the other has SP2 also one is English, the other Spanish,but that shouldn't make any difference.
I want this network to work for sharing files,printers,connections,and I want it to work for gaming too if possible. Also programs can be shared too,is that right? For a little while the PC did recognise the laptop,but I could not access it,and now it will not show it again.
I would appreciate if somebody out there would give me a bit of help on this, tell me where to start or something.
Oh yes, I think it might have something to do with the "Map network drive" in "tools" but I don't know what to type in.

First, make sure your anti virus program is not blocking access to the network. Disable it on both machines if you're not sure.

Second, check to make sure both machines have an IP address, go to start, run, type CMD into the Open field, then in the open window, type ipconfig and press enter. You should see an IP address line similar to 192.168.1.1...

let me know whatcha get, we'll go from there...

Old 07-20-06, 05:29 AM
V
Exclamation Easy Solution

Hi, to solve your networking prob, you just have to ensure that the network IP's are within the same range.
IE: 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.2
as well as the same subnet.

You also have to ensure that both computers are in the same workgroup by right-clicking on My Computer and then selecting properties. Click on the Computer Name tab and then ensure the workgroup names are the same, if they aren't click on change and then rename to the same name. Click OK and then restart the computer.

You also have to ensure that the firewall is configured to allow the private range of IP's used for the networking. If you are using a commercial firewall, check out there website or write back and let me know what firewall you are using and i can tell you how to set it up properly.

Last but not least, you have to ensure that there is a user account that is the same name and password on each of the computers. If you are running WinXP, it will not let you network a computer that has a blank password.

If this still does not work, right click on your network adapter in the network connections page in control panel and select properties. Click on the configure button next to the network cards and somewhere in the Advanced tab there should be a speed setting, such as 10Mbps/Half Duplex, 10Mbps/Full Duplex, etc.. You want to ensure that this are both set the same, if you are still having issues then, try reducing the speed to half duplex and see if that works.

If all else fails write me at nenglish@necomputersystems.com and i will see what else we can work on.

Hope this helps and solves the problem.

Old 07-20-06, 05:40 AM
spend 39.00 buy a router , spend 10.00 buy a couple of factory made patch cords

plug and play network away

Old 07-21-06, 10:20 PM
T
Lightbulb Huurrrrahhhh

GOT IT FINALLY
I had been ignoring that I was running a second firewall on PC01,it came with my internet content filter, and it was making for a lot of headache,for me and all you guys too.
So now I can see my comps both ways easilly.
Thanks all you guys for all the good tips,and the time you spent on me. I'll let you know if anything else comes up.
Thanks again
Tornerito
DoItYourself forums FOREVER

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: