Slave Hard Drive

Old 07-21-06, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slave Hard Drive

I have some items on an old hard drive I would like to copy to my newer computer, I am not computer minded so please bear with me if I ask a stupid question.
The wiring comping from the motheboard to the current HD has a connection in the center of the wire. Is this for me to set up a slave drive?
If so, how do I and will it pick it up for me and show a new drive?
Then, how do I copy from old to new drive, like pictures, old e-mails etc.
Thank you for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-06, 05:24 AM
Yes, the unused connection on the cable to an existing hard drive or optical (CD or DVD) drive is for a second drive on the same cable.

With the power off you connect the cable to the drive and connect power to the drive as well. Depending on the age of the drive, you may have to set jumpers on the drive so that it knows it is the slave drive.

To copy files use Windows Explorer or any other file utility program and simply drag and drop the files from their directory on one drive to the other drive.

Old 07-21-06, 07:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
You could also plug it in on its own cable to the second IDE connector on the motherboard (usually where the CD/DVD is plugged in). This would avoid having to change any jumpers as they would each be a "master" on a different IDE channel. If you simply disconnect the IDE cable (the wide flat one) and the power cable (the little one with 4 wires, but NOT the audio one) from the CD/DVD and connect them to the second hard drive you should be able to do it that way. If the drive is not detected when you fire it back up, you would have to enter the bios setup and detect it.

Old 07-21-06, 09:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
change the jumpers to cable select or CS I have found problems with new computers doing it the master and slave way. After you connect the drive it will show up the next time you start windows. With CS master will be the one at the end of the cable

Old 07-25-06, 09:27 PM
Wow, you guys are way too good for me. I found the end cable is hooked up to the org hard drive, the center plug in is for the slave then, correct? I turned everything off and connected it and turned back on and it is not showing up. I connected it along with the white tip 4 prong wires to the slave for power and nothing is showing up.
Did I do something wrong it wont show up, should after re boot it show up under My Computer.
I move the little pin to the slave pattern shown on the slave drive also.
Maybe a power problem for it not showing up?

Also, how do I get to the directory to copy and past everything I need instead of dragging each and every folder etc.
Can I copy emails within Outlook the same way within the directory.

Thank you all so much.

Old 07-26-06, 07:38 AM
From your desktop, right click on the My Computer icon and select Manage. In the open window, select Disk Management.

Here you will see a Disk 0 listing, and if the system is seeing your slave drive, it should show up as Disk 1.

Let me know...

Old 07-26-06, 09:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Whats the jumper on, on the drive already in the pc