Unfamiliar Windows warning

Old 07-24-06, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Unfamiliar Windows warning

I was playing some short media clips on a loop (repeat) in windows media player then I get this warning that virtual memory is getting too low and that windows will be increasing my paging file, a process during which some applications would become unavailable to me.

I discontinued what I was doing and shut down my media player. Now I need to know what this message is all about and why I cannot play these short wav files over and over again, as I must do as a speech therapist.

Anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-06, 08:02 AM
You should be able to continue (let windows increase it). Ths paging file is considered part of your system memory.

Your options are to increase the paging file or add more memory, (or both). In XP you can right click on "My Computer", select properties, then Advanced, then Performance.

I think you need more memory.

Old 07-24-06, 11:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I agree, I used to get that all the time with 128 mb ram. When I added 512 ram I quit recieving that message.

Old 07-24-06, 05:25 PM
tae
Old 07-25-06, 09:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your getting that message 4 things you should do.

#1 go buy more ram if you need to increase your virtual memory more you computer is running slow as all hell. (768mb ram min - 1gb)very highly recommended for running windows xp

#2 disable programs that startup you probably have a million icons down in the system try by the clock.

go to start then run type msconfig go to start up tab.
disable the most obvious stupid things like anything with adobe, quicktime, real player, yahoo, aim, stupid programs like that. If there is things you never heard of just leave them alone. IF there is things you have heard of chances are you can disable them. leave your antivirus and firewall enable for boot though. After you disable these program you will have to click the icon for them on the desktop to run them. They won't be running in the back ground using system memory and cpu time slowing your pc down when they aren't in use

#3 go to downloads.com download spybot run that it will free up resources to. besure to get updates before running to.

This will also free up memory

#4 go to start programs, accessories, system tools, run disk clean up

Old 07-25-06, 09:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
also click the link below to go to microsofts windows tune up page and run full service scan it will take a while.

http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm?s_cid=sah

Hopefully I got to this thread quick enough for you to see it

Old 08-03-06, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the information and tips. I was waiting for email notification of responses which never came, hence, my absence.

Thing is, I have a good amount of memory on this machine: 1.5 gigs. So I'm surprised that I'll need to take measures to conserve it/free it up, for what I do.

My HD is getting up there - (although I do defrag regularly). Can this be part of it?

Edit: Just checked my virtual Memory, way low! I thought I'd optimized that awhile ago. Guess not. Maybe that'll make a difference.

Last edited by EGreen; 08-03-06 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-12-06, 04:53 AM
I've a question about what I'm seeing in the virtual memory settings. I've set the paging file size to the system recommended 2299 MB (initial and max). However, it Say's that I have 1533 currently allocated. What gives?

Does currently allocated mean something else from what I have it set for?

I seem to have too many memory issues (for what I do) for having 1.5 MB of memory!

BTW, aside from the above mentioned application, is Google Earth a known system memory sucker?

Old 08-16-06, 03:41 AM
Red face

......Bump

Old 08-16-06, 02:52 PM
You can use Task Manager to see what Processes are hogging up the memory.

Old 08-16-06, 03:58 PM
I hate to say but no matter how much memory you have if it is not under a managerial program you will allways have these kind of problems. Eons ago first thing that i did i bought memorykit. to save me from worrying about memoryallocation or run out. There is no warning it just does its trick and keep on ticking. YOU should try it.