computer speaker hookup

Old 07-24-06, 09:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question computer speaker hookup

Approx 5 or 6 years ago ago I bought Klipsch speakers designed for the computer. (Klipsch P/N 09050281210) which worked wonderfully with my desk top computer which as of now, I no longer use (speakers have been in storage for several years). I now have a new gateway laptop, and the problem is that the laptop has only one speaker jack port. The Klipsch speakers I have require that 2 jacks be plugged in. So, I went to radio shack and they gave me this adapter which is like a slitter (the 2 Klipsch speaker jacks plug into the splitter and the whole splitter into the one laptop speaker port). What happens is a loud humming/buzzing, like interference). I'm thinking the splitter idea isn't splitting the right and left but its just like an extension cord. Is there any way to plug up the klipsch speakers to a laptop? These jacks are just like RCA type jacks but instead of being red, yellow or white, these jacks look grey and tan/brown. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-06, 06:24 AM
Can you find any model numbers on the set? Something that starts with a letter instead of a number?

Old 07-25-06, 08:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
it needs to jacks becuase it has front and rear sound. You laptop does not have front and rear output jacks. You can use the splitter but you won't have surround. just the same sound out of all 4 (left and right). you would need a sound card with front and rear analog outputs like your deck top did.

disconnect the jack that is causign the buzzing.

the splitter is splitting right and left but not front to back. disconnect the plug for the rear speakers. it is wired up is causing a ground loop/feedback and that is your buzzing. Becuase your directly tieing the grounds from the front to back when before they came from different amps on the sound card. You speakers weren't made to do that(don't have the notch filter for it)

Old 07-25-06, 02:24 PM
speakes

Sorry, no model or serial number on the speakers and I have long since lost the manual or paperwork....I paid I think 250-300 dollars and at the time they were supposed to be like the best computer speakers one could buy....it has a lot of booming bass..I think it is 500 watts....anyways there are 4 speakers and a sub (a left and right front - left and right rear). It sounds like snucker may be right that I need a soundcard with 2 inputs or jacks. When I bought these speakers I had to have a soundblaster soundcard installed on my new computer. I just thought (fast foward 6 years) that any new computer bought today would be technologically able to handle anything one needs to plug up. I also sent an email to the Klipsch people and I'm waiting for a reply. Thanks for your input. : )

Old 07-27-06, 09:56 AM
Update

The Klipsch tech replied in email that I may have a defective plug...who knows. Anyways if a new plug doesn't work I will just use the sub and 2 front speakers, omitting the rears.....It sounds decent and that may be be only option as I can't afford to modify a laptop that still needs payments...Anyways, thx for all your input