Links and not Sausage either

Old 07-25-06, 01:06 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Links and not Sausage either

Lately I have been having, something added to my favorites list. Title is listed as LINKS. When I delete it, it goes away but only to reappear, a short time later how much later, I do not rightly know, but it always comes back.

It has not, as of yet, presented its self as a problem, that I know of but then again, I do not know much.

Is there a way to stop this from happening. It is, right now just a pain, but I am afraid it might turn in to something that may be harmful to my computer, if I just keep ignoring it.

When I press the button to bring up what might be in the links title in my favorites column there is nothing there.

I run spyware checks every week, but this seems not to have helped, I have installed McAlfee and a program paid for from webroot plus ad-aware and spy bot and run these every week, but this links favorites thing comes through it all I guess. If anyone can help, please use english as I am not very computer literate and do not know alot of the jargon used by you guys.

Thanks for any help you maye be able to give

Old 07-25-06, 03:04 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You are running Internet Explorer for your Internet browser, right?

The "Links" category is a feature of Microsoft Internet Explorer and I know of no way to eliminate it other than using a different browser. I prefer the Mozilla Firefox browser.

Old 07-26-06, 05:31 AM
R
You can remove the "Links" folder in IE but it requires a registry change. I agree with furd - I also prefer Firefox. Here's the registry change for removing the "Links" folder in IE:

-Click [Start] [Run] type: Regedit <hit Ok>
-Browse to this Registry Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar
-Create a new REG_SZ [String Value] key called: LinksFolderName
-If there already is a key called LinksFolderName, just double-click and clear out the value that's currently in there (probably "Links")
-Close Regedit
-Now, open Internet Explorer and manually delete the Links folder from Favorites Menu.
-The Links folder will not be recreated.
-Exit Registry and Reboot

Old 07-26-06, 06:01 AM
M
There is no logical reason to delete it. Links is an optional toolbar for the browser. It takes up no space and it not there maliciously.

Old 07-26-06, 04:03 PM
M
links not patties

Thank you for giving me the way to get rid of the links in my favorites catagory.

I did not know that the links showing in my favorites catagory was not going to hurt anything, I do know that one day it was not there and the next day from there on out I could not get rid of it. So therfore if it was not my idea that it be there and just someone else's then let some one else pay my on-line service bill. And it does not bother me any more cause it is now gone.

I share this computer with my wife who is very adamant about using IE is it possible for me to have Foxfire on my side of the computer and IE on her side?

If so how do I attain info on how to get Foxfire up and running for me?

Old 07-26-06, 04:57 PM
R
Sure, there's no problem having both Firefox and IE installed - they can both exist on the same system without any issues.
It's all about personal preference - you might try Firefox and not like it... Firefox is known to be more secure and many people like the features that it has to offer (like tabbed browsing and extensions).
I'm not sure if I can post a link to the site or not but you can download Firefox from mozilla.com

Old 07-26-06, 06:33 PM
I like the links folder. It gives me a place to put links that I really can't come up with a good catagory for.

Now that you got yor answer I think I'll go make some grilled sausages and kraut.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: