Laptop Desk

Old 07-27-06, 03:38 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Laptop Desk

Lapinator? Lap Desk...lap thing...

I am getting 1st laptop sometime next week. As I have experienced from my brothers laptops...they get hot on the bottom and have heard laptops just get hot. So I was lookin' into getting a good laptop desk. Is that what it's called? Whatever it's called...I think I would need/want something that will keep the bottom cool and something I can use or place on my bed or the floor or wherever else I may be at. I have read so many reviews on different ones but all I read are the cons and then move on. Apparently the cons are they still get hot. Any advice would be great. Or, should I just wait 'til I need one?

Old 07-27-06, 04:26 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most laptops exhaust the hot air through the side and not the bottom. Every laptop that I've seen is specifically made to be placed on a flat surface and/or your lap. I've owned many different laptops throughout the years and I've never had the need for anything special to keep the bottom 'cool'. Sure, it does heat up but I personally would not be concerned. My advise would be to just wait until you need one because you probably won't...

Old 07-27-06, 04:58 PM
D
Thanks. I'll do just that. From the horrid laptop burn mark on my brother's lap...it scared me. (He just did a stupid thing)

Old 07-27-06, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 173 Upvotes on 135 Posts
But they do make special laptop thingees (trays?) that will help keep them cooler. Like these:

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/revie...tecc/index.htm

Old 07-27-06, 09:07 PM
B
More and more, over the past few years, the laptops have become hotter to have on your lap. This is partially due to vendors going to Desktop CPU's to get better speed, partially due to a lack of complaints IMSHO. If you read the reviews at PC World and PC Magazine they will often comment on the heat if you use it on your lap for a long time.
A friend recently bought a Mac Book for his daughter to take on her travels. I set it up and updated it and can vouch for the need for a pot holder if used on your lap

One thing to look for would be a dual core Intel notebook. They SHOULD put out less heat, especially than the units using CPU's meant for desktops. ( many AMD based notebooks fall into this category )

Paul

Old 07-28-06, 08:05 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I was using my friends laptop and the thing practically burned my leg. So recommended on of those laptop coolers and they make a huge difference. Even the mouspad and keyboard don't get nearly as hot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834992005

I would find out if that one has a bottom so you can use it on your lap.

You want to look up laptop cooling pads

Old 07-28-06, 09:42 AM
D
Thanks all! I am (if curious) getting the Inspiron E1505, Intel Core Solo T1350. (Apparently it's hotter than the dual then?)

The cooling pad IS what I was looking for. Thanks for the info guys. I will however keep the darn thing off my lap and see how it goes and then refer back to this thread in case of the need of the cooling pad.

Seems the ratings/customer review aren't too bad on the Evercool but however it's not something I would buy b/c it sounds "iffy". There's gotta be a product out there that most customers would recommend and give it a good rating...?

Old 07-28-06, 12:28 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Never go by what people write in the computer reviews. lol those people are funny. Just look for one with a closed bottom and 3 fans.

Old 07-28-06, 12:34 PM
D
Originally Posted by snuckers99
Never go by what people write in the computer reviews.
Really? Why?

So I take it "anything" with a closed bottom and 3 fans would be good enough?

Old 07-28-06, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 173 Upvotes on 135 Posts
I'll be looking for some user feedback on that unit, DIY; looking seriously at that one as a candidate to replace our daughter's current laptop next spring as graduation present for college.

Old 07-28-06, 04:44 PM
D
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
I'll be looking for some user feedback on that unit, DIY; looking seriously at that one as a candidate to replace our daughter's current laptop next spring as graduation present for college.
What...the Inspiron? My bro picked it out for me. I told him what I wanted and he did all the add ons and stuff. I think I got a good deal with 35% off and free shipping. I'll definitely leave a feedback no matter what.

My biggest thing was I wanted a nice size screen, something to play my DVD's on, store photos and be on DIY. That's about it. Kinda lame but I know I'll find other uses plus I know my son will need the internet soon to do projects and research.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: