Old 08-08-06, 09:23 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Challenge for unusual windows exporer problem

I will make this as brief as possible. Problem is this:
Desktop running windows XP pro.
Computer has a DVD drive which is listed as D: drive
Computer has a CD R/W that is listed as E: drive
I am cleaning docs and pics and unused programs off of it to get ready to sell computer.
After removing all of the stuff that I felt was not originally on it I wanted to install MsOffice 2003.

Now for the problem. I can put the cd into E: drive the computer will recognize that a disc is in there but can't see any files on it. And yes I have put this same disc into another computer and it reads fine.

When the disc is recognized I choose "Take no Action" on the window that opens. Then I open windows explorer try to view the files on the disc in drive E:

The computer sees that the disc is there but says there is 100%free space on it. As if there are no files on the disc.

I must have deleted or changed some setting in some way that sees what is on E: drive because if I do a system restore to an earlier point, one before I started clearing stuff off of the computer, it will see the files on the disc fine.

So the challenge is this. Is there anybody out there that knows what this problem could be and how I can fix it without doing the restore and starting my deletions again.

Also I do not have the XP restore disc so a full system restore is not an option. I wish I did because that would be much easier solution.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Old 08-09-06, 05:00 AM
M
This completely avoids answering your question, but...

If you are going to sell the computer, so what? If you do not have the original OS media then you cannot sell the computer with the OS on it anyway. Delete everything using a wipe clean program and sell the computer with a blank HD in it.

Of course, that's just the opinion of a MS System Builder...

Old 08-09-06, 08:08 AM
K
selling but going to a friend

You are right you didn't answer my question. I can restore to a point that it works but I just wondered if there was an easier way such as a simple setting or something. I am not selling it with no OS. Thanks for the input anyway.

Old 08-09-06, 08:39 AM
R
Get a copy of the OS from somewhere else. As long as the computer case has the Microsoft authentication sticker on it, it does not make a difference whether you have the OS disks or not.

You should NOT sell or give away this computer without reformatting the hard drive anyway.

Old 08-09-06, 10:41 PM
K
what do you mean about not having to have disc

You say to get the OS from somewhere else as long as the case has a microsoft sticker. How do I get it from somewhere else without a disc? thanks

Old 08-10-06, 04:16 AM
P
Originally Posted by kmeyer301
I can put the cd into E:drive the computer will recognize that a disc is in there but can't see any files on it. And yes I have put this same disc into another computer and it reads fine.
Why not try to update the driver for the E: drive?
Go into your control panel...Right click on the icon for the E: drive and select properties. Then click on the hardware tab, then properties, then driver. Then, from there, click on the "Update Driver" button. It'll walk you through the rest of the process!
Good luck,
Phil

Old 08-10-06, 04:37 AM
R
You say to get the OS from somewhere else as long as the case has a microsoft sticker. How do I get it from somewhere else without a disc? thanks
Borrow a copy of the CD from a friend. Take the computer to a computer store and have them reinstall the OS.

Old 08-10-06, 03:13 PM
P
Go to the drive properties and uninstall the drivers. Reboot & the drivers will automatically re-install (also make sure the device is Enabled - it should be, but just check to make sure).

This has worked for me a number of times for similar problems.

Old 08-10-06, 09:26 PM
tae
You really should do a drive wipe and format/new install if you are going to sell it. fresh os and drivers.

Old 08-11-06, 07:48 AM
J
Received 337 Votes on 290 Posts
Have you tried any other CD in the drive? I have seen some drives that will not read some CD, especially certain brands of burned ones.

Old 08-11-06, 09:17 AM
N
Well i would not wipe it clean yet. It is not working properly until it does keep it status quo. Try installing the hardware again obviouly DOS doesn't see it. and did you try to go to my computer and see your files and if they are there? Removing a lot means a lot of registers are looking for what to do did you clean that mess up first. Periodicly files get corrupted for some reason can you do a diagnostic on it?

Old 08-11-06, 09:53 PM
K
Thanks for help but problem taken care of.

Thanks for all of the help but I just went ahead and restored back to a point that it was working then started deleting stuff again making sure I didn't delete something that killed it again. All is ok now. As for formatting the drive before selling it as was suggested, that is a great idea but I don't have a copy of the OS disc and it is only going to some senior citizens that I am friends with. I think that just deleting all of the files will be enough security concidering where it is going. There was no banking or financial info on it anyway. Just daughters college stuff. Thanks again for all of your time. Appreciate it.

Ken

Old 08-12-06, 06:22 AM
R
I think that just deleting all of the files will be enough security concidering where it is going.
This is a very naive thought and you are taking considerable chances.

Senior citizens have children and grandchildren. Senior citizens are also very ignorant when it comes to computers and security. You also have no idea where it will go when those senior citizens dispose of it.

Get an OS disk from a friend.

You're a fool to let it leave your control without reformatting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: