Laptop wont boot :(

Old 08-12-06, 06:16 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laptop wont boot :(

OK I'm thinking my HD crapped the bed in my Toshiba laptop, but I'm not 100% sure.

Here is what happened, last night I came home from work plugged the PC in and went to the kitchen to get a drink. When I came back I opened the PC and screen was frozen , then the PC made a somewhat long loud beep and the screen went blank.

Well I powered it off via holding down the power button, but when I turned it on all I got was a black screen and the same beep, and it beeps about every 10 seconds or so.

So I decided to pull the HD and RAM out to see if maybe it would reset them, so after I pull them out and put them back I try to boot it and this time I get as far as seeing my desktop for about 2 minutes, then BAM frozen and black screen of death along with the Death Beep.

I have no clue what happened everything has been working fine no issues or anything. This laptop is 4 years old and I have had NO issues with it what so ever. Oh it is a Toshiba Satellite if that matters.

Old 08-12-06, 07:02 AM
R
It does sound like it's dead. While I don;t have any good suggestions for what to check, I will tell you not to put too much money into this. At four years old it is well past it's prime.

Old 08-12-06, 07:03 AM
G
Well that was rather interesting....................................... ............I just pulled the RAM out of the first bay and put it in the other bay and guess what.......... I WORKS. So then I took it out of the second bay (the one in works in) and put it back in the original bay and it did the samething, froze screen went black and it had a nice long beep. What in the world could be causing this?

Old 08-12-06, 09:20 AM
G
Well it looks like I'm in search of some PC133 SO Dimm Ram. I turned on the PC and now I get a small box with blue dashes. Then I shut it down and restart it and it freezes the minute I put my network adapter in. I just hope its my ram and not HD, I'm leaning more toward RAM though

Old 08-12-06, 01:19 PM
B
If your swapping Ram and the computer works and then you swap it back and it doesn't work. Try looking at the bios settings to make sure that nothing was changed by a miss power down. Like the Ram channels.

The best thing to do is Google this "Toshiba laptop beep codes"

Get that list and you will know what the problem is for sure.

Old 08-12-06, 01:27 PM
G
Well from what I found it is saying that one long beep is the code for bad RAM, so it looks like I'm in the market for some new PC133 So DIMM SDRAM. AHHH Laptop Ram is some much more expensive than desktop

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-14-06 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Removed quote as it's unnecessary
Old 08-12-06, 07:35 PM
N
It sounded like bad ram or a failing CPU when you first explained it. Try sending the memory stick it back for replacement. Many manufacturers have limited lifetime warranties on memory.

If you can't tell the manufacturer, Google the numbers on the stick to see if it suggest whom it may be.

And rarely any manufacturer asks for receipts or proof of purchase.

Good luck.

Old 08-13-06, 12:19 PM
G
I never thought about that, It is a Kingmax so I'm goign to see if I can email them and see what they can do for me

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-14-06 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Removed quote as it's unnecessary
Old 08-13-06, 07:31 PM
Bad System Board

I hate to say this but it sounds like the problem is with your system board. The way you described it your first DIMM slot has a problem. Either stick will probably work fine if you only use the second DIMM slot. Best case you can try canned air and a rubber eraser (to clean the contacts) worst case, the DIMM socket has a broken trace or a short and the only way to fix it would be to replace the system board.

Old 08-14-06, 09:40 AM
G
How would that happen, what would cause it? I went to Toshibas site and looked up the beep codes and it says one long beep means RAM, but it would make sense if it is a Bank, but I just wonder how it happens over night, without any warning signs

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-14-06 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Removed quote as it's unnecessary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: