Slow brand new computer

Old 08-18-06, 09:16 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Slow brand new computer

Just bought pavilion 1520 n with xp..Computer is slower on line (dial-up)than the old one..we suspect the cache needs emptied....how do I accomplish this?..Any other help will be appreciated

Old 08-19-06, 08:21 AM
slow new computer

There are several steps to take. First, check with task manager to see what applications are running as soon as you start Windows. In all likelihood, there's a bunch of junk programs that were preloaded by HP. If you don't need it, delete it.
Second, in IE6, go to Tools - Internet Options. There you can delete the history files, cache files and cookies (A MUST!) Under
Tempory Internet Files, click on settings. I keep my cache as small as possible. For a dial up, you may want to keep the default size; experiment with the size.
On the Main screen, select Advanced. Go down to Security and make sure the check box by Empty Tempory Internet Files is checked.
I'd also highly recommend getting a good cleaning software. I've started using CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com). It's a freebie that cleans the REgistry, Temporary files, and lets you set up the Start-up files.
Lastly, a cat named 'Black Viper' had posted a number of tweaks to WinXP. His suggestions can be found here:
http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm

Good luck, and good surfing.

Old 08-19-06, 09:17 AM
P
Red face

Originally Posted by bales
Just bought pavilion 1520 n with xp..Computer is slower on line (dial-up)than the old one..we suspect the cache needs emptied....how do I accomplish this?..Any other help will be appreciated

Hi,

I would check a couple of things first, when you are comparing dial up modems are they the same speed modems?
Also, clearing the cache, it would depend on which browser you are using.
If its netscape:
go to edit>preferences>advance>cache then hit clear.

If its IE: I believe its under tools.

If its a new computer there really should not be too much cache to emty. Also you want to be aware that firewall restrictions or setting may slow down things abit too, while it checks.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: