Windows XP issue

Old 08-29-06, 07:32 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Windows XP issue

After my anti-virus program removed an infected file, svchost.exe????(I don't know rest of file name) I can't initiate scan in McAfee; the "My Computer" screen doesn't load so I can't access file listings; and I can't download pictures from my camera to computer. Most other functions seem to be OK.
My XP installation disk supplied by Dell has no repair option.
Can anyone suggest tools for troubleshooting, chat rooms, etc. that might be helpful, before I get desperate enough to pay for online or telephone help?

Last edited by magison; 08-29-06 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-29-06, 07:54 AM
T
Try looking in "C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386" for svchost.exe then copy it over to "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32" folder. Also you may be able to find an older original install version in "C:\i386" folder.

Old 08-29-06, 02:08 PM
T
If you really mean you have deleted svchost (not scvhost), I can see why you have problems...

"But just what is svchost?

Let me tell you what it is not: On Windows XP, 2000 and 2003, svchost is not a virus. On those systems svchost is a required system component. If you happen to successfully delete it, your system will not run. You'll be much worse off than before. (Win95, 98 and Me users, see Note 1.)

Don't delete svchost.exe. Don't even think about it. [Important: do not confuse svchost, which we are discussing here, with scvhost, which has two letters transposed. They are not the same thing. The presence of scvhost may indicate a virus.]"

Try "TheCornerLot"s suggestion.
I found this on a web search:

"Boot from your Windows XP disk and use recovery console, follow the onscreen stuff and put the admin password in that you setup when you installed windows, you should now be at a prompt EXAMPLE: C:\WINDOWS>

At the end of the prompt type: cd F:\I386
F is the letter of the drive where your XP disk is so you will need to change it to your drive letter. The prompt should now be F:\I386>

After the prompt, type: Expand svchost.ex_ C:\windows\system32
C is the letter of your HD where windows XP is installed, needs to be changed accordingly. At the prompt type: exit
Your sytem will re-boot and you will now have a copy of svchost.exe in your system32 folder again."

Old 08-30-06, 04:47 AM
M
Windows XP problem

Many thanks to all who offered advice and suggestions in response to
yesterday's post, most were based on my statement that the
svchost.exe file was missing, and gave advice on how to replace it.
I was able to open WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 from Run and found that there was
a copy of svchost.exe there. The Mcafee window had said a virus had
been found, cleaned and the file deleted, thus my erroneous statement.

I have not tried the camera, but I can still not open the My Computer
or initiate a virus scan. A scan run this morning from the McAfee web
site was OK and showed no viruses. I disabled virusscan but to no
effect.

Old 08-30-06, 05:44 AM
M
Further info

I have removed all Canon software but the EOS utility version 1.0.3.17 cannot be removed because of a hangup.

Old 08-30-06, 08:02 AM
M
More info

Hangup event log says:
The server {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Indicated action is to notify software vendor determined by accessing My Computer, which I cannot do by any path tried.

Old 08-30-06, 08:03 AM
J
There are 2 things here to look at:

1. svchost.exe may in fact be damaged and if so should be replaced as indicated in a previous post.

2. McAfee probably needs to be reinstalled. If you can't run a scan, then it's likely that something is messed up in the scanning software. It sounds like you are able to use the computer except for McAfee.

Personally, I prefer AVG which is free and IMO does a better job than McAfee.

Old 08-30-06, 08:13 AM
J
Windows XP Installation Disk

If you start the WinXP install program, it should give you the option to either do a new install or repair a previous installation.

Old 08-30-06, 12:53 PM
M
The latest and thanks for all the help so far!

I did a Win XP repair/install and reinstalled McAfee.
I can now run a virus scan - none found.
I can not populate 'My Computer" window. It blinked once with right stuff, never to be seen again. The event log gives the same DCOM message as before. I can access files I think if I open C from run.

I still can not uninstall the Canon EOS utility, though all the other stuff uninstalled OK.
I will not reinstall and try the camera download until another day.

I'll try another thing or two tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: