HELP! Canon inkjet problem

Old 10-03-06, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP! Canon inkjet problem

The printer in question is a Canon i950. It's a 6 tank photo printer. That's individual ink tanks and a permanent (expensive) printer head.

Here's the problem. Over the weekend my wife was printing stuff out and the printer ran out of 2 colors. She pulled the 2 empty tanks out, and since we didn't have new ones at home, left them out. 6 hours later I get home and she tells me what happened. All stores were closed by then, so I put the old tanks back in hoping they would keep things from drying up in the printer head till I could get new ones. Next day I put in 2 new tanks and start up the printer, now it flashes an error code. The code indicates a "printer head problem". I call Canon, they run me through some tests and then tell me I can have a customer loyalty discount on a new unit. Thanks Canon. I live in the boonies, nearest Canon service center is a 5 hour roundtrip. I'm thinking that the thing is clogged with dry ink, maybe? I tried the cleaning program in the mainntenance tab, but the printer won't do anything, I can't get it to reset, all it does is flash this printer error code. I tried cleaning the head with alcohol and Qtips, not the printing side, but the side that the ink goes into, and still nothing.
So, 1, do you guys think it's clogged with dry ink? And can I clean it somehow?
2, does anyone know of a way to reset the printer or clear the error code? It doesn't seem like it's going to do anything till it gets cleared. I can't find anything in the manual about that topic, and I've tried every combination of turning it off and unplugging it and using the resume button.
I'm just not ready for this thing to turn into a paperweight yet, that, and I can't afford to replace it right now. Especially since I just dropped $60 on a 6pac of ink cartridges that won't fit into the new printers. ARRRRGH!
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-06, 06:46 AM
Received 84 Votes on 77 Posts
I would remove the print head. Soak a clean lint free cloth with alcohol and sit the printhead on top of it. Let is soak the print surface and possiblely disolve any dry ink and draw it out of the head. Don't rub the head around just sit or pat it up and down.

Old 10-04-06, 06:44 PM
How frustrating!

I have a Canon i860. Several months ago I had a problem with the print head -- just wasn't printing right. No error code though.

Anyway, I did some internet research and decided to clean the print head myself. I even wrote a "how to" for future reference in case it happens again. It may not be any help to you, but if you'd like to check it out, I put it on my web page at: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=264193&ck=

Good luck!

Old 10-05-06, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the help. I tried to use your link bigfred, but I get a "Sorry Access denied" message form Bellsouth. Is there another way to see your post? I'm definetly going to try cleaning it somehow, nothing to lose at this point. Thanks.

Old 10-05-06, 01:08 PM
The head in those Canon printers is not permanent, but removable and replaceable.

Old 10-05-06, 04:36 PM
Square 1: Sorry. I'm still learning about my internet site. Anyway, I've just made some changes so hopefully you can now view it.

Let me know.

Old 10-06-06, 12:07 PM
Thanks bigfred, link worked this time. Guess I've got some things to try this weekend. As far as being replaceable, I know that, but my closest Canon service/parts place is a 5 hour roundtrip, and Canon didn't even offer me that option. They just went straight into the Canon owner loyalty discount program. I'm going to call the shop today though just to price out the part anyway. Thanks for the help, I'll post the results here in case anyone else runs into a similar problem.