CD's, DVD's, Programs not playing

Old 10-05-06, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CD's, DVD's, Programs not playing

I have a 2.4 year old Dell Dimension 4600 w/t XP service pack II. My DVD drive is not playing. First I stuck a Program in and had to manually start it which was strange; the first time I've had to do that. Thereafter I've gotten nothing either way.

The indicator light near the drive flickers as normal then stops and nothing happens.

I've checked the device manager and it informs me that it is working properly. Really?

My Windows is up to date.

I went through the troubleshooting rigmarole and it failed to address or solve this problem.

Thus far Dell tech has been less than helpful (it's still under service warranty)

Is it time to buy a new drive?

Anyone?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-06, 04:17 PM
If it's still under warranty then it is NOT time to buy a new drive.

Have you tried uninstalling (in software) the drive and then letting it be found and installed on a reboot?

Have you verified that the cables are properly connected?

Can it be seen in the BIOS?

Old 10-05-06, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
If it's still under warranty then it is NOT time to buy a new drive.

Have you tried uninstalling (in software) the drive and then letting it be found and installed on a reboot?

Have you verified that the cables are properly connected?

Can it be seen in the BIOS?
No. Yes. Yes.

Dell just got back to me via email and sent me a link to download a new driver. To be honest I'm fearful of this. Installing new drivers sometimes crashes systems, right?

Old 10-05-06, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 25 Posts
FWIW the DVD burner (IOMagic, just over 1 year old) in my TowGuy1000 bit the big one day before yesterday. Would read and write cd's and read DVD's, but got write error trying to burn DVD's even with two different burner programs and connected to two different machines. When you exhuast racraft's suggestions.......

Old 10-05-06, 07:47 PM
tae
the first step would be to clean them.
If dell sent you the program, it should be fine. If you are worried, just create a rollback/restore point first.

Old 10-05-06, 07:55 PM
You can try checking the drive manufacturers website for updated drivers. You can also try removing power to the device itself & reattaching.

If it is under warranty, let Dell pick up the tab. Their customer service is HORRIBLE.

Feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to help you out with more ideas if you'd like to keep the unit.

Tony

Old 10-05-06, 10:16 PM
tae
If you have any suggestions, please tell them, so others might learn also.

Feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to help you out with more ideas if you'd like to keep the unit.

Old 10-05-06, 10:34 PM
Tae, Excellent point! =)

EGreen,

The way I see it, computer diagnosis & medical diagnosis are very much alike in that it's very difficult to recommend a treatment if the doc doesn't know all the symptoms.

With hardware such as a CD / DVD drive, the first thing we want to do is try to figure out if it's a hardware issue or a software issue.

Please answer the following to the best of your ability:
- Insert a CD (music or data). Go to "My Computer" & look for the CD drive (I'm assuming it's D: or E. Does this drive have a label that you can see right off the bat?

- Right-click on the CD drive and select "Properties", what do you get?

- Double-click the CD. What happens? I know you said you couldn't even start a program manually, but are you at least able to see the contents of the CD?

Let's start with those questions, and take it from there.

Tony

Old 10-06-06, 03:06 AM
Ok, I am, in fact, not seeing the disc information, looking at the drive in my computer. It knows there is an audio cd, but nothing more. When I try to play it from there I'm getting a message, 'the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action' When I chose one, nothing occurs.

Edit: Oops, forgot to ask, how do I clean it? Just a regular optical drive cleaner? (that never seemed to be effective on any stand alone player I've used thus far.)

Thanks Tony, and, as always, Tae.

Last edited by EGreen; 10-06-06 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-06-06, 09:00 AM
You can purchase a CD / DVD drive cleaner at just about any computer / home electronics store.

What makes me wonder is the message you get about file associations. Do you get this same message when you insert a data disc?

Old 10-06-06, 09:19 AM
I do not have a single data disk around. It all goes on my HD and sent through outlook.

I've got a Radio Shack around the corner, I'll get the drive cleaner later on today to eliminate that possibility.

Old 10-06-06, 09:54 AM
While at Radio Shack, see if they have one of those "Try AOL Free" CDs... if so, put it into your drive and see if it's recognized. No need to actually install the software, just see if the drive reads it properly.

Old 10-06-06, 03:36 PM
OK, sorry for being dense, by data file I thought you meant explicitly one that I created.

I put in a DVD Rom program that I have. It did not autostart but I was able see it and open it manually via My Computer - it did seem take a bit longer than normal.

Prior to that the Drive cleaner disk went the way of the audio CD, light flickering than nothing, trying to double click on it in my computer and getting the same message.

Old 10-06-06, 03:46 PM
A lot of questions, I know, but when when you said you were able to see the DVD... you mean you were actually able to double click on it and see the contents of the disc, correct?

Old 10-06-06, 03:57 PM
Ask away! I appreciate your assistance!

Well, my computer was already open and I saw that the icon had changed from Audio CD to DVD Rom. I double clicked on it and it turned into the icon for the particular program, PhysioEX 6.0, I double clicked on that and the program opened.

Old 10-06-06, 04:08 PM
What I'm gathering so far, is that you're able to open data files without issue (those on the DVD), but music files give an association error. When you pick a program to open the audio files, nothing happens. Is this correct so far?

Old 10-06-06, 04:26 PM
Though the data disks are, strangely, not autostarting they are apparantly being read and playing while the audio CD's are not, correct.

Old 10-06-06, 04:37 PM
It seems to me, at this point anyway, that your Autorun has been disabled and your file association for CDA files has been changed.

If you want to enable autorun, do a quick Google search for "enable autorun in Windows" and you can find sets and sets of step by step instructions.

What I'd like you to do, is:
- Double click Windows Explorer
- Select "Tools"
- Select "Folder Options"
- Select the "File Types" tab
- Scroll down the list until you find CDA & CDDA, what program are they associated with (you can tell by single clicking the CDA entry and looking in the "Details for CDA File Type" section)?

Also, when was the last time the drive worked correctly?

Old 10-06-06, 05:12 PM
CDA Opens with Windows media Player. CDDA Quicktime (which I don't use.)

There is no extention associated with AudioCD, drive or or DVD video, huh?

Last time... maybe a week.

Old 10-06-06, 08:20 PM
AudioCD, DVD, Autoplay and a few others will all say "(NONE)".

Single click on AudioCD and press "Advanced", what does it say under "Actions"?

After this we're going to change your CDA associations and see what happens.

Old 10-07-06, 02:19 AM
it says Dell media experience, not media player which is my default

Old 10-07-06, 09:03 AM
So under "Actions" in the Advanced properties of AudioCD, it says "Dell Media Experience"? It doesn't say "Play" or "Command", or both?

Is there any way you can take a screenshot of that screen and send it to me? Something is very strange. I'll have to check one of our Dells and see if it says the same thing. Dells are very odd machines at times.

Old 10-07-06, 09:47 AM
It does say 'play' and 'play with Dell media experience.' I apolgize for not being more exact I am stretched beyond my limits; doing some serious multitasking lately computer related and other.

I must admit I do not know how to take a screen shot, but that is the complete content.

Old 10-07-06, 10:52 AM
Rather than have you go in and manually change the action items, let's try this first:

Go to http://www.winamp.com/player/free.php

There are three free versions you can download (Bundle, Full and Lite). Download and install Winamp. During the installation process, you will be asked which types of files you want to associate with Winamp. Select them all. Once the program is installed, try inserting and audio CD and let me know what happens.

Old 10-07-06, 03:56 PM
you know what I did? I rolled it back using system restore to a time prior to the occurance of this problem. It worked! The disk drive is fully functional again.

Thanks for your assistance. I'm grateful for your time and efforts in trying to help me figure this out.

Old 10-08-06, 08:29 AM
Come on now, that's taking the easy way out!! LOL Glad you got things working again! =)