wireless networking/printer sharing

Old 10-06-06, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wireless networking/printer sharing

OK..I can not find where my post went so I will try this again. I have a laptop and desktop both using windows XP sp2. I have the desktop hooked up to cable internet hardwired to the wireless router. I have the laptop hooked up wirelessly with no problems. I have ben trying to get the two networked together to share files and the printer hooked up to the desktop. When I use windows network setup wizard it asks to use a flashdrive to transfer information from the desktop to router and then to laptop. Well this can not be done because the router (netgear) is not able to do this. I know it should not be that hard. Once that is done I will need to set up the printer for sharing. That should be easy once I am networked, correct? That should just be sharing the printer on the desktop and then adding it to the laptop. I just need them networked.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-06, 12:44 PM
dbone,

Are you simply trying to share files & a printer solely?

Old 10-06-06, 01:06 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Do this on both machines..

Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Computer Name

A few lines down will be an entry for 'workgroup'.
These must be EXACTLY the same on both machines.
The computer name must be different on each machine.

Once you have verified that, go back to Control Panel (on both machines) and select Network Setup Wizard. Follow it's instructions, but you can skip the part about making a disk. All you want is for the wizard to set file permissions on the machine.

Then, using Windows Explorer, find the folder/printer you want to share, right click on it and select Sharing and Security.

In the 2cd box "Network sharing and security", click on the "If you understand the risks but want to share files without running the wizard, click here", follow the instructions.

You should now be able to see the folder you just shared on _both_ machines in Windows Explorer under "Network Places".

Old 10-06-06, 08:29 PM
Thanks. That really helped out getting the shared folders going, but I am still unable to get the printer added on the laptop. I did it about a year ago and had it working. I recently moved and lost a bunch of settings. I know I can get it, but it wont work now. I go to "add a printer" then "a network printer or a printer on another computer.....bla bla" I browse for a printer and it comes up with the desktop names but says that my printer name I typed was wrong or invalid. What am I doing wrong?

Old 10-06-06, 10:04 PM
dbone,

Do you know the IP address of the printer?

Old 10-07-06, 05:54 AM
Although I do not know the IP address, I am sure I will be able to get it once I get home from work today. What do you suggest?

Old 10-07-06, 06:28 AM
I know this sound silly, but did you share the printer?

Old 10-07-06, 09:00 AM
LOL...yea...the printer is shared. I have tried everything. I know that with XP it is not required to load the driver into each pc sharing the printer, but would this help at all?
I am quite stumped here. I have done this before and even did it for my brother a few weeks ago.

Old 10-07-06, 09:01 AM
As Pendragon stated, be sure you're sharing the printer. Once you know the IP address you can try going to the Run box and typing \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where xxx = the octets of the IP). If the printer appears, you can right-click it and select "Connect".

I'm not sure if this will work with the exact model printer you're using, as I have never used that device myself. But I have found that more often than not this will allow me to connect to various printers on the network.

Old 10-07-06, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 26 Posts
Could always install a print server on the network and connect the printer to it, but there are some negatives to doing that; with our HP setup that way I can't monitor ink levels (although it will tell me when a cartridge is low).

Old 10-07-06, 08:39 PM
I am unable to find the ip address for the printer. it is a an hp photosmart 7660. No luck anywhere finding the address. This sucks. I know this can be done, and should be able to be done quite easily. Im missing something easy here.

Old 10-08-06, 05:37 AM
The printer won't have it's own IP unless it's a network printer, and the 7760 isn't. It has _optional_ wireless abitlity, but that only works with wireless _print servers_.

On one of the PC's, open Windows Explorer, go to:

My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network

Select your workgroup name.

Select the computer name that the printer is attached to.

Select "Printers and Faxes".

If you do not see "Printers and Faxes" under the computer name, or you do not see the printer under "Printers and Faxes" then the printer is not visible on the network as a shared resource. No amount of name typing or browsing is going to make it show up.

Go back and share it again, if it still doesn't show up, you may need to reinstall it.

There is no need to load the driver, it's loaded from the server machine when the printer is added to the client machine, provided they are either using the same OS, or the driver for the OS the client is using has been added to the server.