Wireless security, mixed system

Old 10-07-06, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless security, mixed system

I'm trying to improve the security of my wireless home network which consists of 2 PCs and one laptop, all running XP. I have a 98 machine that is direct wired to allow changes in the wireless router. I just upgraded from a Linksys "B" router to a "G", but still have the Linksys "B" cards in the two PC's. The laptop is "G" compatible. I currently have MAC filtering enabled. If I quit broadcasting the SSID, the wireless computers cannot find the network, so that feature seems useless. Is that normal? WEP sounds pretty weak, but I don't know if WPA can be used with the "B" cards in the two PC's. I can't seem to get a direct answer from the Linksys boards as to compatibility in this mixed system. Am I vulnerable until I upgrade the two wireless cards?
Thank you, in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-06, 06:25 AM
I am not familiar with the B protocol.

With the G protocol it is not necessary broadcast the router information. Once it is known to the PCs it can be shut off. The PCs remember the information and can find the router each time.

MAC address filtering is good, and better than nothing, as long as you lock out any other addresses.

WPA and WPA2 are the best security. WEP is good, and shoud be used if you have it, but don;t have WPA..

I would definitely upgrade the router wireless cards, if for no other reason than the increase in speed. They are not expensive.

Last edited by racraft; 10-08-06 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-08-06, 09:28 AM
Thank you for your prompt answer; I wish the techs would be as concise. I'll swap the cards for G ASAP,
Jess