Win2000 Install problem

Old 10-08-06, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Win2000 Install problem

I installed Win2000Pro on a PC that's will be used in an office on a network. The problem is that everytime I start the computer, it goes through a "Found New Hardware" sequence. The hardware it keeps finding is the "on board" USB ports.

I'm using a USB mouse, if I cancel the process during the windows start up, the USB ports won't work and I have no mouse. If I re-boot and let it install the new hardware; all is well for that session and that session only.

Why does it act like it's adding the "found" hardware at every start-up, but then keeps re-finding again at every start-up. This is driving me nuts!
Any idea's?
Thanks,
Phil

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-06, 09:46 PM
Is it prompting you to install drivers? Is it finding the drivers? Do you have the proper drivers?

It sounds to m e like it is not getting the correct drivers for your USB ports. If this is a "brand name" (Dell, Compaq, etc.) PC, you should be able to get the correct driver from the manufacturers website. Otherwise, you will need to determine the make/model of the motherboard and get the driver from the motherboard manufacturer.

Old 10-08-06, 11:30 PM
I've seen this problem quite a few times with printers (KB 298370), but not so much with on board USB.

Has this been happening since you first loaded the OS? What OS was originally on the box?

Old 10-10-06, 08:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Get the motherboard CD and install the USB drivers..

Old 10-10-06, 11:48 AM
Arrow Serivice pack maybe?

Hola Philossifer.

I dunno how much you're into computers and comps stuff, but you may want to look into this link and install the service packs:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/default.mspx

Just in case you don't know, service packs are Microsoft's way of (literally!!) patch over glitches in the software that are called bugs.

The service packs help a computer keep up with the never-stopping issue of updating, upgrading and all the up-ing you may want to reffer to regarding computers. Oh, and give us the users the neck pain of figuring out the rest.

If you need any more info, let me know and I'll see what I have in my drawer or tool box

Best regards.

Old 10-10-06, 10:07 PM
Two possibilities

If this computer is in a Domain, make sure you have administrator rights. The fact that the drivers seem to install then go away indicates that there is a group policy set that does not save installed hardware. Try to logon as a local administrator that should circumvent the Group Policy and administrator issues.