Mother-in-laws computer full of popups!

Old 10-11-06, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Unhappy Mother-in-laws computer full of popups!

Hi All,
My Mother-in-law is running Windows XP (service pack 1) on a DSL modem. She is getting bombarded by pop-ups for online poker, etc, etc. while she is online, and when she is not online. I ran AdAware, and it pulled out about 76 items, but it said it was unable to repair one item (sorry, I don't know what that was, as I am at home now).
Is there something I can do to stop those popups? I honestly don't even know where to start.
I tried to manually load service pack 2, but after the download, there was an error message stating that the installation was not successful. Her firewall was off, so I turned that on too.
Help please!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-06, 05:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
With this much stuff, I recommend a complete reformat and re-installation of the OS. Then I recommend decent anti-virus protection along with spyware protection. Finally I recommend a stern lecture about security. While I don't think the lecture will help, it won't hurt.

Old 10-12-06, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
You can request a cd for SP2 from Microsoft. I had the download problem when SP2 came out as well. Spybot Search & Destroy and SpywareBlaster are other good (free) tools, although they are designed more for spyware vice pop-ups. Make sure Popup blocker is turned on in Internet Options, Privacy. Don't remember for sure, but that may be an SP2 option. If any of the popups refer to "Spy Falcon", that's a whole 'nother ballgame. There are also a number of freeware popup ad blockers, check cnet.com or zdnet.com. Racraft's plan is best, of course, because it kills EVERYTHING.

Old 10-12-06, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys,
Today she told me she is taking the computer to the "geek squad" for repair.
I am going to install AVG virus protection & schedule it to run daily, along with Spybot & Adaware.
Racraft- She is definately not into cleanup or daily maintenance, so the more automatic the better. Gotta keep it simple!
Tow Guy- Yes, the popup blocker is not available in SP1, only SP2.

Old 10-13-06, 04:00 AM
I am reminded what a difference SP2 made as far as Pop-ups where concerned.

I hope your mom has surplus cash, she's going to need it going to geek squad - more, if they come to her. I've got a friend who called them to come to her because her computer was running sluggishly, suggestive of malware/spyware and they quoted her a price of $249 for diagnostic/fix. She could go cheaper by 100 but they wouldn't fix it for that, just diagnose it.

Rip off as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-13-06, 06:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
With computer repair shops in every strip mall in America, don't think I would have opted for the "higher-priced spread". But then lots of people take their 10 year old cars to dealerships for simple repairs.

Andrew, check out the SpywareBlaster I mentioned. It runs in the background and helps prevent the spyware vice the Adaware & Spybot that are scanners.

Old 10-13-06, 10:18 AM
Turns out Geek Squad wants $300 to fix it. She wants them to do it, even though there are cheaper solutions. Geek Squad said the malware/spyware, etc. had "spidered" into every nook & cranny of the computer.
Boy $300 seems steep! I offered to reformat & reinstall the operating system, but this is the route she's chosen.

BTW- We WILL be having a discussion about spyware/virus scanning, & keeping them up-to-date!

Thanks again!

Old 10-13-06, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew
BTW- We WILL be having a discussion about spyware/virus scanning, & keeping them up-to-date!
You think you've got problems ;-) I just set up my 80 year old mother with a laptop & internet. Now, is it cheaper/easier to get an unlisted phone number or just pull the wire outta the wall ?!?

(I'm expecting A LOT of calls ;-)

Old 10-15-06, 01:22 AM
I believe I've seen new computers (minus a monitor) for about the same price these days.

Old 10-15-06, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by rcash54
I believe I've seen new computers (minus a monitor) for about the same price these days.
I meant having MY phone disconnected ;-) Her first question was " Why do they call it a mouse? "