Disk Drive Problem's

Old 10-16-06, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Disk Drive Problem's

Im not good with computer's so i need help a few day's ago my disk drive wouldnt open or close most of the time then the disk didnt read alot and now it wont open or close at all and the disk dont read at all and i was wondering if theres a way to fix this or if i have to buy a new disk drive.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-06, 03:25 AM
CD-ROM drives are really cheap these days. Not even worth messing around with. You should be able to pick up a replacement for around 20 to 30 bucks...maybe even cheaper if you look on ebay, and they're really easy to install.

It does sound like it died, though.

Old 10-16-06, 05:21 AM
bad drive

disc drives have a life of two years. heat, use, and leaving them on causes such problems. Basicaly you get what you pay for buy yourself a decent drive. I agree dont mess with your old one. only two cables to switch for replaceing the drive esay to tackle by anyone.

Old 10-16-06, 09:01 AM
Please use capitalization and punctuation to make your posts easier to read.

You are talking about an optical drive, not a disk drive. The term disk drive is usually reserved to refer to floppy disk drives (not common much anymore) and hard disk drives.

It is likely your optical drive is wearing out. Now is the time to replace it, or more likely upgrade it. Depending on what, if any, other optical drives you have in the computer, replace it with the same type or upograde to a DVD drive or even a DVD writer (provided the computer can handle it).

Old 10-16-06, 09:40 PM
good CD/DVD drives (readable and writable) based on my personal experience include LG, LaCie and Benq ... many of these drives have lasted much longer than 2 years and get a good amount of use (the Benq is the DVD drive in my Home Theatre PC used for watching DVDs)

Last edited by mattison; 10-18-06 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Off topic, and company bashing removed.
Old 10-17-06, 04:01 PM
The issue has little to do with the original post.

Type "disk drive" or "disk drive" into the search engine of any web store and you will find that the stores do not differentiate.

Further, the original poster typed "disk drive" and he wasn't referring to a hard disk.

Old 10-18-06, 01:48 PM
Please stay on topic as Raycraft mentioned because the original poster will get lost.

Old 10-18-06, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I believe your CD drive has failed.. I use TDK drives and have been very happy with both the CD and DVD types..
Look at the Double Layer drives.. They will work with any CD-DVD-Double layerDVD you put in them..

Old 10-18-06, 09:29 PM
check out newegg.com for really good prices and reviews on CD/DVD drives ... the reviews on there have made or broken many plans i've had as far as what hardware to buy (and i've yet to regret any of the purchases made based on reading multiple reviews) ...

i'd also suggest that if you find a drive that has the features/price tag you want, google it ... people complain a lot online about purchases they've made and reading their complaints will help keep you from being one of them ... just don't assume you'll find any products that don't have any complaints online, of course