RAM Recognition Prob...

Old 10-16-06, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RAM Recognition Prob...

I bought another gig of RAM today, for a supposed 2 gigs total, but my system only is seeing 1.5 gigs..hmm..any clue?

They are all the same frequency, PC2700, and my mobo is supposed to accept 2 gigs of RAM.

3 slots....
slot 1: 1024mb PNY 2700
slot 2: 512mb PQI 2700
slot 3: 512mb PQI 2700

i also just noticed on everest pro that the 2 512mb sticks are operating at PC3200, while the new 1GB stick is at PC 2700...how can I set them the same?..they all are supposed to be backward compatible, and the 2 512mb are labeled as PC 2700..

heres more info:

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.60
BIOS Date: 09/09/04
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS ID: 09/09/2004-i848P-6A79XG07C
OEM Sign-On: Intel 848P AGPSet BIOS for 8I848P-G F4
Chipset: Intel 2570 rev 2
Superio: ITE 8712F rev 5 found at port 2Eh
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2800 Mhz MAX: 3600 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: No
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 1536 MB
Memory Maximum: 3072 MB
Memory Slot 01: 1024 MB
Memory Slot 02: 512 MB
Memory Slot 03: 0 MB
ACPI Revision: 1.0

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-06, 09:34 PM
there's no real way to "set" your RAM to operate at a certain frequency (well, for the most part, that is) ... your system will run at the highest speed both it and the RAM supports ... so, if your system takes DDR400 (PC3200) RAM and you put in a stick of DDR333 (PC2700), all of your RAM will run at 333MHz instead of 400MHz ... unless you have a dual channel system .. in that case, each channel can run at different speeds, iirc

now, as far as why they're reported to be running at PC3200 speeds when they're labeled PC2700, i'm not sure ... it could be a bug in how the BIOS recognizes it or a bug in the software that is reporting it (i'm not familiar with everest pro) ... try swapping around which slot the RAM is in to see if you get different results ... some RAM is incompatable with certain motherboards and, unfortunately, it's oftentimes a "guess and test" scenario ... a friend of mine just sold me two 512MB DDR400 sticks of RAM that didn't work with his 64-bit BioStar motherboard ... i put them in my 64-bit BioStar motherboard (slightly different model, i think) and they're working fine ... why? heck if i know, but i got two cheap sticks of RAM so I don't really care

Last edited by DIYaddict; 10-16-06 at 10:12 PM. Reason: removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post that's directly above yours
Old 10-17-06, 11:05 AM
Thumbs up ram

hi,

yup, memory it a touchy thing with mainboards, as the last guy said, what will work in 1, may not work in the other, and my past eperiences has shown, this is much like the old, why does this network card work in your but not mine.

I have found that generally the memory SIMM i have in the first slot usually defines what speed they will all run at.
The only time this may not be the case, is:

A) your mainboard is not designed to use the first slot to define the speed (see about updating your bios for a possible fix).

B) there may be an incompatibility issue between a certain type of memory and your mainboard (see about swapping the memory for another brand or your mainboard, either option will usually fix this).

C) the 2 brands of memory will not run properly together, some types of memory just dont like other types, no idea why. Sometimes i got through upto 6 SIMMs before finding one that works well with a customer's current memory sticks when they've asked for extra memory to be added.

D) the 2 different speeds/types are making it hard for your bios to choose one speed for all, this should not be an issue, but sometimes is. Please see in your BIOS manual to see if you are able to set a fixed speed for your memory to run at, if so, set it to the speed of the slower SIMM you have in there, and windows should be fine to detect/operate with it at that speed.
if that option does not exist in the BIOS, see about updating your bios as it may be supported with one of the updates.

As for the 1.5gb being detected, theres so many possible reasons for that, some of the above solutions may even fix this issue at the same time. if not, leave the slower SIMM in slot 1, then put one of the others in slot 2, see if it has detected the full amount of mem you have just put in, if so, remove the 2nd SIMM, and put the other one in its place, see if its detected right. etc

if one of those combo's dont work, leave that stick out, as it may have issues. if all seems ok, just play around with the order of 'em.
Trial and error mate.

Good luck.
epic.

ps, there are some small programs around that will run from dos to give your memory a good workout and let you know if any is defective.
I have not used this type of software for some time, so cannot recall the name of it. But, just try a net search for it, it should only be small (less than a meg from memory), but works well.

Old 10-17-06, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by epicmindz
ps, there are some small programs around that will run from dos to give your memory a good workout and let you know if any is defective.
I have not used this type of software for some time, so cannot recall the name of it. But, just try a net search for it, it should only be small (less than a meg from memory), but works well.
http://www.memtest86.com