DVD-ROM drive failing?

Old 10-19-06, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DVD-ROM drive failing?

Sometimes (not always) when I try to open the DVD-ROM drive, either using the button on the drive or selecting eject in the drive's propertties, it makes clunking noises like it's trying to open, but doesn't open. It's the original drive supplied with my 3 1/2 year old Dell Dimension. Is there anything I can do about this, or should I just replace it? One concern I have about replacement is that I thought I read somewhere that the Roxio Easy CD Creator software that was supplied with the computer will only work with the drives that came with the computer (but that doesn't make sense to me). Ans if I replace, should I go with a dual layer writer? (I have a p4 2.53 with 768 MB RAM).

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-06, 08:18 AM
don't think your drive is failing

if it is only a problem when you are trying to eject, it is mechanical. does it happens with certain CD/DVD only? if so avoid those or make a copy. sometimes the CD/DVD gets bad and make noises.

also check if there is any foreign material like a clip or coin stuck in the drive specially if you have kids in the house.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 10-19-06 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post directly above yours
Old 10-19-06, 01:16 PM
I'd just get a new drive, they're cheap nowadays, and you can get a cd/dvd burner for $50-$100. They all come with some sort of burning program, Most of them come with NERO, which IMO is a lot more reliable than roxio ez cd creator.

Old 10-20-06, 01:32 AM
If you're going to get a new drive you may want to look into the Lightscribe drives. They're really awsome. What they do is allow you to burn a label on the disc using the same laser that was used to burn the data. After you burn your data onto the disc/disk you remove the disc, turn it over and reinsert it. Then, using the included software you can burn an image or text onto the label side. They're only monochrome but they look pretty good. Of course you have to use special lightscribe discs if you want to burn the label, but you can use any regular discs if all you want to do is burn data.