16 bit subsystem (win 98) on win xp probs???!!!

Old 10-19-06, 11:44 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
16 bit subsystem (win 98) on win xp probs???!!!

I built a computer system for my friend. I was having some difficulties with my copy of win xp, so stupidly I loaded win 98 first edition onto the computer with hopes of just doing an upgrade. well, that didn't work, so I shut it off, loaded win xp in again, and this time it worked (chose quick format option)

everything seemed just perfect, until I put in the occasional driver disk, and it says not compatible with a 16 bit subsystem, and I'm having issues getting some things to work.

win xp is functioning just perfect, but I believe this aspect of win 98 was never erased, and some install disks see this.

Is there a way of fixing this without reformatting and starting over again?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-06, 12:02 PM
A
maybe the drivers need to be specifically for XP

do the same drivers work on another computer with xp loaded?

Last edited by DIYaddict; 10-19-06 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post directly above yours
Old 10-19-06, 12:12 PM
J
I have this problem with two different disks. The first is the mob install disk, and the second was the disk for the all in one printer they bought. I found if I just hit ignore on the printer one, it installed fine.

for the mobo disk It wouldn't install at all, but I found if I went into device manager, and hit search for new drivers, it was able to pull the drivers off the disk that way for the usb and the sort, etc.

I'm still having problems with the onboard sound and getting that to work though, and I'm just worried they could have a problem in the future, so that's why i want to fix it. since this has happened with two diff disks now, and I had win 98 on that HD, I'm convinced it's not the install disks.

Old 10-19-06, 12:18 PM
R
Yes, loading Windows 98 onto a machine and then attempting an upgrade was not a good idea.

Many peripherals built for and released for Windows 95 and Windows 98 (or even earlier operating system) do not work with Windows XP. This is because their manufacturers have not bothered to write compatible drivers. They want to sell you their new updated peripheral, instead of having you continue using their old outdated one.

Old 10-19-06, 12:22 PM
J
I do realize this, and this is why I quite my attempt at an upgrade, shut the system off, and did a fresh reboot of windows from a stop. It should have completely written over win 98, but it seems like it may not have?

is there a way of telling I've got a win xp subsystem, what is it now 32bit? If it's indeed win 98 underneith, I'm going to have to start fresh again.

Old 10-19-06, 03:32 PM
A
unless you formatted your hard drive

you still have left over files from previous install. this time if reinstalling delete partitions, repartition, format etc before installing operating system.

did you check the web for latest sound card drivers?

Originally Posted by jthompson
I do realize this, and this is why I quite my attempt at an upgrade, shut the system off, and did a fresh reboot of windows from a stop. It should have completely written over win 98, but it seems like it may not have?

is there a way of telling I've got a win xp subsystem, what is it now 32bit? If it's indeed win 98 underneith, I'm going to have to start fresh again.

Old 10-19-06, 06:26 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you quick formatted the drive, then there was nothing left of win98 to be in conflict. You have something else at issue.

Windows XP doesn't always install properly. You can install it on the same exact machine two times in a row and get different installations.

It might be worth it to just do another reinstall and see if it correct itself. Just remember to reinstall, not repair, and choose the format option again to wipe any remants off.

Old 10-20-06, 06:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When Windows installs, (any version) it writes info to the boot sector of the hard drive.. A format will NOT get rid of that info.. You should get the utility from the drive manufacturer to make a boot diskette or CD and use it to lowlevel format the drive.. That erases ALL info on the drive, and you start with a bare disk..

Old 10-21-06, 04:56 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry, but you are incorrect on that. There is virtually NO reason to ever low-level format a drive and in fact, you cannot low-level format current hard drives on your home PC. You can however zero-fill them, and there are plenty of utilities that can do that.

Doing so under the assumption that Windows has somehow left data there is also false, as there is no reason to recreate the MBR for that.

The only reason you might want to recreate the MBR is if it has become so infected by a virus that your anti-virus software cannot remove it, or the partition data has become corrupted.

In either case, you can use FDISK with the /mbr option to recreate the MBR, no "low-level" (or more correctly, zero-fill) format needed.

Old 10-21-06, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Zero-fill, I stand corrected..
I have had instances when trying to re-install Windows and it would not accept a key code, other than the one that was previously installed.. Even after formatting..
In order to make sure I have a clean start when installing the OS, I always zero-fill the drive to make sure MS isn't hiding something on me.. It gets rid of the Data, and the MS Boot partitions for good..